Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Koni shocks + King springs

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Correct Koni's are adjustable, but Koni recommend running them on the softest setting, go figure...

Thats cause Koni consider them an adjuster for wear.

That way, you can expect consistent damping over the life of the unit.

Mr Irony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Correct, they are adjustable to compensate for wear, but they are also adjustable to vary suspension operation according to needs. But their greatest asset is their progressivity in operation.

Mr Irony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Lol, don't think he's got a dedicated track car.

I'm not bagging K-mac, but I reckon they are too over priced. Plenty of other better competitors out there with affordable options.

Why would he need toe and caster adjustments when he already has them from factory?

You are bagging K-Mac because you're ignoring the fact that they alone have the attributes that really do the job. You don't need to have a 'track car' to necessitate accuracy in your wheel alignment.

Remember, all cars are made to a price. There are compromises in the design and original equipment and these days it means that most suspensions are not adjustable as might be needed. Alignments have become a rip-off, in the past you could wheel your HQ or HX into a wheel aligner and for the flat rate the guy would adjust the camber, the caster and the toe to get it right. Most cars today you wheel in and he does the toe adjustment and still charges you the flat rate.

How good is that?

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
In his defence, not many road cars require 4 deg of negative camber ;)

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Lol the car is not a track car nor do I want it to be. Would I be correct in saying to stop a car with IRS from squatting would be the springs mainly ? As the shock is only to keep the tyre on the road. Shocks will help if there low travel ones but springs are doing most of the work. Am I way off here or?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I've had Koni Yellows (Adjustable) coupled with Eibach springs on a previous car I owned - Wasn't a Holden though - & I thought they were a great thing.

My suggestion would be to look at a Bilstein set up. I'm pretty sure you can obtain Eibach springs as well for the Holdens these days. From what I've been told, this is pretty well the Walkinshaw suspension upgrade.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Koni black is pretty cool, got them from Africa with a few abducted kids

Mr Irony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Lol the car is not a track car nor do I want it to be. Would I be correct in saying to stop a car with IRS from squatting would be the springs mainly ? As the shock is only to keep the tyre on the road. Shocks will help if there low travel ones but springs are doing most of the work. Am I way off here or?

Sure, that's the basic idea, though a shock with plenty of bump resistance might help a bit too... but it might also create problems at other times.

You say, however, that your primary problem is inner edge tyre wear. So you need to stand the tyre up more, that's where camber kits come in.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Hi Mate,

I fitted kings and Koni yellow adjustables to my near new SS-Z two weeks ago so i think i am the man you want to hear from. Firstly the ride height, will get to the damper later. If you want the car to sit with a fairly even gap over the front and rear guard then you need a higher spring in the back as the way they set mine up initially was super lows all round (HD's in the front) and i found that the yes whilst the sill was horozontally level with the ground the back end looked like it was way too low with the guard over the wheels. So I had them fit the Low HD in the rear and now the front to back proportions are to my liking re the ride height. Dont let any suspension shop tell you the v8 HD king spring will be too firm, that is garbage, i found the suspension shop to be pretty conservative re this. Anyway the Koni's. Note that the rears cannot be adjusted while in the car, only the fronts can so rear shock adjustment is critical. Initially mine was set up with a quarter of a turn up from softest in the rear and softest in the front. This provided a very comfortable ride (like OEM comfort) but the whole thing felt more ties down and that floatiness was gone. It was also more responsive. I wasn't happy as it wansnt sporty enough for me. I played with the fronts and found that putting a full turn on the front adjustment took most of the body roll out of the front, turn in was very crisp, lighter, and whilst definitely alot firmer than the softest setting, it was not in any way uncomfortable or harsh. Rough stuff was still relatively smooth therefore showing how good a high quality damper like the koni's are, not only is the ride very sporty and direct, it also retains a level of quality and smoothness you just wont get in cheap tein coilovers or monroe GT Gas etc. Anyway, when i had the rear springs changed to the taller HD's, I had them tweak the rear shocks to one full turn from softest and i run 1.25 turns on the front. Its not harsh at all, it just handles fantastically for a street car and I reckon this setting will go allright at the track too. I also have a front castor kit in so they could get the alighment right. The Bilstein is a great product but will be firmer that described above and does not have any adjustment. I'm really glad I went the Koni's, they are brilliant and i'm happy with the front SSLHD and rear SLHD spring combo. bloody big reply, sorry mate, take what you will from my experiences with it.