Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kw

shaun05

Reaction score
Members Ride
clubsport
Hi all I have a vs clubby and it's pretty standard besides the few minor mods. I absolutely luv the car. It Sound and looks awesome. But I'm keen to find out what everyone thinks roughly how many kWs it has. They leave the showroom with 185kw mine has the hsv headers but twin 2.5inch into high flow cats then single 3 and resonator. In my opinion sounds good. The guys at the exhaust shop reckon it would have added 20-30kw that seems like a lot to me but anyway. Also got a 70mm tb and a Brock shop chip.
So with those basic mods how much extra would they add?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
185 is at the flywheel, not rear wheels. its hard to say, every engine is different and could only add 5kw or 20kw.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I would GUESS your up to 200kw at the engine, running on premium.
of course, I don't expect you to remove your engine to put on a dyno to test it.

You should just put your car on a rolling road dyno and see what it runs, that's all that really matters. . . . that, and Quarter mile times.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
As suggested, if your curious get it on a dyno, it wont cost much and you can get afr's checked.

My vs when it had pacies, twin 2 1/4, twin cats into 3 inch like yours, with 65mm throttle but a "stage 3" crow cam was 165rwkw.

I agree with around the 200 fly wheel kw teritory, which would be somewhere around the 145rwkw mark.

shaun05

Reaction score
Members Ride
clubsport
Thanks guys. I kinda thought around the 200 flywheel kW might have been closer to the truth as well. Might look into getting a dyno tune. Would Luv to put a mild type of cam in when I could afford it.
Bet yours sounds tuff as with a full exhaust like that.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Mate if your toying with a mild cam, i'd do that before a dyno tune. If you've already got a brock shop tune there may be not much left in it depending on the tune they have given you.

My old set up sounded sweet. But my new set up sounds even better. But its not going to win any dyno comps or 1/4 miles for that matter. My engine was getting tired so i bit the bullet and went a scat 355 kit all machining work and actually a smaller crane 276 cam. That coupled with a twin 2 1/2 mandrel bend exhaust sounds fantastic.

Having done work to mine there are a few things i could recommend:

If going full rebuild, go 355 at least. Its not that much dearer than rebuilding as a 304.

If selecting a cam for a stock comp 304:
1: if u want to keep reasonable low down torque i'd go a crane 276 or crow 4502
2: if u want pull hard to 6000, the cam i had was the crow 4503. Worked well, but was a bit doey under 3000rpm.

shaun05

Reaction score
Members Ride
clubsport
I agree it's not all about the 1/4 mate. Hey thanks a 355 would b awesome one day. When the time comes I'll look into it. I will b keeping the cam mild tho. Still like the idea of keeping everything mild.