Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

KYB Shocks problem

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
G'day,

Just unboxed a new set of KYB shock absorbers going into my VX SS and I've noticed that one of the REAR shocks when compressed will un-compress itself naturally however the other one will remain in the compressed position and will have to be pulled out to its fully extended position.

Basically just wondering if this is normal and isn't a fault?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Stand the shock upright and pull it in and out fully a few times to expel (bleed) any air bubbles that might have been trapped in the shocks inner valve assembly from laying on their sides in the box. Both shocks should act in a similar manner, Ive found if one expands fully all by itself, then the other should also. I use monroe GT plus shocks on the rear of my commodores, and they both fully expand by themselves when they were new out of the box..

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
Stand the shock upright and pull it in and out fully a few times to expel (bleed) any air bubbles that might have been trapped in the shocks inner valve assembly from laying on their sides in the box. Both shocks should act in a similar manner, Ive found if one expands fully all by itself, then the other should also. I use monroe GT plus shocks on the rear of my commodores, and they both fully expand by themselves when they were new out of the box..

Thanks so much for the tip mate, just tried that and it seems to be starting to push itself up on its own. Would you say it's safe to put in the car if that's the case?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The workshop manuals just say to bleed the shocks by holding them in an upright position and fully compressing and extending them 6 to 8 times to remove any slack spots. Before fitting it, Id work the shock in and out a few more times to make 100% sure its working the same as the other one, it could be faulty if it still doesnt fully extend properly by itself after bleeding it.