Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L38 to l67 Conversion help

BIG-EV

Project VT (In Progress)
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2000 VTII Executive 3.8L Supercharged V6 Wagon
I currently have the top end of a VT xu6 including heads, intake, charger, all pullies and bits. dont have a harmonic balancer yet but ill but a new 1 with an under driven ratio.. anyways can this be fitted using the L38 wiring loom? i got the L67 loom and ecu here to but to save time i was wondering if i didnt have to re wire the engine bay.
Thats 1 thing off my mind also the cooling part. is there any different bits needed for the hose connections ect. and i know that it doesn't have a strengthened bottom end which i will strengthen when i rebuild the motor later this year but what psi could i run up 2? my mate did this same conversion to and he's running 10psi on an old VS ecotec.

Also does anyone know where i can get my cylinder heads ported in Brisbane?

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Hi there. If you have the l67 loom and computer then definately use that or you'll be cutting and modifying the ecotec loom and getting a tune to make the thing run... heaps more work than swapping the looms over.

Is there any reason why you want an under driven balancer? Most supercharged guys tent to go for overdriven balancers to up their boost a fraction. Underdriven balancer will free a couple of horses but might not be the way to go on an l67 (I'd want to keep the water pump flowing pretty quickly on a charged engine)

BIG-EV

Project VT (In Progress)
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2000 VTII Executive 3.8L Supercharged V6 Wagon
Hi there. If you have the l67 loom and computer then definately use that or you'll be cutting and modifying the ecotec loom and getting a tune to make the thing run... heaps more work than swapping the looms over.

Is there any reason why you want an under driven balancer? Most supercharged guys tent to go for overdriven balancers to up their boost a fraction. Underdriven balancer will free a couple of horses but might not be the way to go on an l67 (I'd want to keep the water pump flowing pretty quickly on a charged engine)

my bad it was an over driven balancer i just got confuzzed.. how hard is it to replace the loom?

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
ive just done a conversion , well doing, standard ecotec to a l67 motor, box , wiring, ecu, ect, but wwont turn over, fuelpump swithces on and whatever else is under the bonnetbut theres nothing,not even a tick from starter motor, if ibridge the diognosis wires it will turn over but wont quite start, if fires but dies. i used thel67 wiring and was allconnected to motor still and disconnected at ecu and pulled thru flywall, used l67 ecu,

i havent changer the fuel pump thou and wondering if the little bit less pressure would cause everything to cut out/switch off. or if theres an extra wire of fuse that need to be added from standard.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
bcm problems ie dont you need it remapped or whatever to suit your old key bcm???

Reaction score
Members Ride
i dont think i changed it, unless its inside the ecu .cause im not even sure where the bcm is

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i think thats going to be your problem bcm is your body control module and acts like an anti theft i beleive the ecu and bcm have the same codes on them if youve switched ecus they dont communicate properly. Somebody who knows more about tuning can explain better theres a couple guys on the forums here that can help sort it out. Holden can do it but they charge a fair bit for it from what i understand

Reaction score
Members Ride
ha wicked, i hope thats it.
how do i find those guy's on here??

and thanks for that, might be able to sleep now

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mate you were spot on, ecu and bcm are ment to be a pair, just got an auto elec to come and link em together with scanning tool and all's good. was only $66 , stoked , and the motor sounds wicked, bairly even aa tick from valves, its so quiet, " till i open throttle, wizzzz wizzz :)
$2200 for 130,000km l67 motor, box, wiring, loom and a complete stock l67 exhaust, seem's pretty good to me

Reaction score
Members Ride
random question---------- theres 2 water jackets at the back, on top of manifold with little o rings, is that ment to be so water can flow thru charger???????? cause there ain't no where for it to go, at the bottom of charger where it meets up is flat, no holes , no passage, = no circulation
just seen one on ebay and it had holes.

mayb 2200 ain't so good after all,