Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 Best mods?

2agle_2ye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Hi, so my dad has got his hands on a Vx Spac with the good ol super 6 L67 engine. He's been very keen to do some bits and pieces on it He has already priced up a full exhaust kit with all extractors high flow cats and all the rest however I would like to know whats the best system for one of these :/

What he wants to know is whats the best performance mods that can be done to it (besides the exhaust). Ive heard that you can somehow do something with the supercharger and get a bit more out of it? also is a remap a good idea? He really just wants to get some more go out of it and he doesn't care about fuel economy or anything like that because it will just be a weekend car :)

Any ideas would be awesome as he's got a decent budget for it and id like to see its full potential!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are a number of build threads on the L67 from anything from mild to wild, it really depends on how much you want to spend.

A decent twin system will allow the engine rev without choking it like the factory system does once you start to push the engine. The most basic upgrade is the 10psi pulley and then you start adding more mods.

The M90 supercharger is a fairly old and in-efficient design by today's standards, what that means is that once you start to overdrive it (spin the blower faster than the factory recommended) it creates more boost but it also creates a lot more heat. Anything much over 10psi and heat is starting to become a big issue. IMHO anything over 10psi and some sort of cooling is required to get the most from the blower. Engine/intake heat management is of most importance.

Contact MACE (site sponsor) for any upgrades you may want, Steve knows the L67 and can supply what ever you need.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
If 100 people commented, you'll most likely get 100 different answers.
Get onto Steve at Mace Engineering, he will sort you out with performance upgrades.
https://www.maceengineering.com.au/

2agle_2ye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Thanks guys looks like he doesn't wanna upgrade internals but he's keen on the pulley and exhaust and I think he wants to change the intake. Would you recommend any particular intake or just go the growler?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Would you recommend any particular intake or just go the growler?

Pretty sure Mace would have an intake for the L67 equipped cars.
I've never used a Growler intake so can't comment on it from first hand experience.
Some people love Growler Intakes & other people hate them and sh#t on them at every opportunity they get.
All I know is that after doing a lot of research into different styles of cold air intakes, the majority of comments that I read were that the Growler intake is useless.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Pretty sure Mace would have an intake for the L67 equipped cars.
I've never used a Growler intake so can't comment on it from first hand experience.
Some people love Growler Intakes & other people hate them and sh#t on them at every opportunity they get.
All I know is that after doing a lot of research into different styles of cold air intakes, the majority of comments that I read were that the Growler intake is useless.

Don't quote me , but I think the Ecotec CAI from Mace will fit the L67 too , I had a Growler on my VX eco V6 , yes it gave a better induction growl , as for performance , meh , maybe a bit , but the addition of a free flowing exhaust made more of an difference , as for L67 mods , a larger throttle body + tune would help , you can also get manifold insulators for them too, which are available from Mace as well .

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
High ratio rockers also from mace engineering are a good upgrade on these also

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Mace have performance packages , from budget to higher end modifications, plenty of options available.