Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 compression reading

Dalto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore L67
hey all,
New to this so please no hate, only a young fella trying to figure something out.
I have recently done a compression test on my 2000 VX Commodore with the L67 in it. The motor has approx 250 thousand k’s on it. Just curious as to what the readings should be.
The readings I got were;
Cylinder 1: 175
2: 160
3: 160
4: 165
5: 155
6: 160

Are these in the normal range?

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Minimum for a eco tech is 100psi so so all good and seems funny that no.1 is 15 higher but within range so no stress sounds like a good motor and reason for the comp test?

Dalto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore L67
Minimum for a eco tech is 100psi so so all good and seems funny that no.1 is 15 higher but within range so no stress sounds like a good motor and reason for the comp test?
It’s been losing water (no signs of a leak anywhere) and it’s building up pressure and then blowing out from the radiator cap so was testing to see if it could be the head gasket

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
I know the l67 are prone for the valley gaskets to leak losing water maybe water getting down low enough to causing it to overheat also have heard of heads cracking in these they run at a bit over 100 degrees are you running coolant ? Has it all been bled properly are you blowing white smoke out the exhaust when at running temp?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Those numbers look fairly decent.

Unfortunately it's a common fault for the intake gaskets to fail on these engines. Mine were stuffed when we got it at 160,000km.

Pressurising the cooling system isn't great though, although with it been a blown engine it is well possible.

Dalto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore L67
I know the l67 are prone for the valley gaskets to leak losing water maybe water getting down low enough to causing it to overheat also have heard of heads cracking in these they run at a bit over 100 degrees are you running coolant ? Has it all been bled properly are you blowing white smoke out the exhaust when at running temp?
Yeah, running coolant through it. No, no white smoke when running