Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 conversion

beejaay

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS S2 Acclaim
hi guys im just after a few tips, pointers and/or opinions as im just about start rebuilding a stock n/a ecotec out of a 1996 vs commodore, im planningon doing a L67 conversion and i also plan on stripping the engine down to the bear block and boring/honing the cylinders (standard size) and upgrading all the internals like forged pistons, higher ratio cam, 1.97 roller rockers ect, im currently surfing the net to get a rough idea on parts, prices and availability, does anybody know what parts i would need, obviously i need the ecu and loom but do i need oil lines vacuum or air lines a new trans or something???? its not a rush job, i plan on taking my time and i plan on trying to make a fair amount of kw's aswell :yeah, would it be better to buy an original L67 and rebuild that or stick with my original plan???? thanks for reading i hope to hear from someone soon

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
You're better off buying a stuffed l67 motor and rebuilding that.

Don't do the top end conversion as its more hassle than gain in my opinion.

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
Would be better to buy the conversion and rebuild that. Will cost $1200 to $2,000 max for the engine box loom and ecu. Cheaper for a stuffed motor

Jman_83

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Series2
hi guys im just after a few tips, pointers and/or opinions as im just about start rebuilding a stock n/a ecotec out of a 1996 vs commodore, im planningon doing a L67 conversion and i also plan on stripping the engine down to the bear block and boring/honing the cylinders (standard size) and upgrading all the internals like forged pistons, higher ratio cam, 1.97 roller rockers ect, im currently surfing the net to get a rough idea on parts, prices and availability, does anybody know what parts i would need, obviously i need the ecu and loom but do i need oil lines vacuum or air lines a new trans or something???? its not a rush job, i plan on taking my time and i plan on trying to make a fair amount of kw's aswell :yeah, would it be better to buy an original L67 and rebuild that or stick with my original plan???? thanks for reading i hope to hear from someone soon

Im doing the same thing at the moment and have picked up an L67 motor, loom and ECU out of a pranged VS stato for $1500 from my local wrecker. This way all the bottom end has all the strengthened bit in it. I'm planning on going 1.98:1 roller rockers from MACE, tossing up on CAI either OTR (got one sitting here) or mace airbox, MSD coil packs, boost upgrade kit (10-12 psi), extractors and exhaust for now then A2A intercooler, MAFless tune (may need to do this sooner rather than later and some other stuff bit down the track.

As for taking a N/A motor and charging it you could do a side mount raptor kit. Best option i believe is a L67 conversion and you can always strip it down and rebuild it.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
L67 coils are the best coils for the ecotec.

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
I agree with adz_vy.

It will probably cost you more to buy an L67 topend and an Ecotec motor seperately.
There are many cheap busted L67's going around on ebay for < $1k (Full conversion, including transmission, ecu, bcm, wiring loom and other goodies). I personally got one for $900 and am doing the exact same thing you are doing.

If you already have the Ecotec to begin with, you will then need:

+ L67 Heads & Rocker Covers *You 'can' use Ecotec heads and have a machine shop drill out the injector bosses in the heads, you will then need to get rocker covers to suit though*
+ L67 Harmonic Balancer (Get a new one imo) *Needs to be re-balanced if using new rods / pistons*
+ Pulleys
+ Lower Intake manifold
+ Rear Coolant water pipe (the metal one)
+ Supercharger
+ L67 DFI & Coils
+ Fuel Rail & Injectors.
+ L67 Memcal from a VS (Standard Ecotec ECU will work, just open it up and take out the ecotec memcal and drop in the L67 one).

Unless you can get the above parts for a cheap price; if you were to buy them outright I think they will cost you roughly the same amount as a faulty L67.

Good luck mate.