Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 hypatec ring gap.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm not saying you're wrong but other guy's out there have different opinions and some of those guys build 10 engines a day.
Whollll, that's insane that's an engine built in less than an hour.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Well that's a little different to what I've heard Kieth Jones from Total Seal say.
He has said it's still debated and engine builders have their own preference.
I'm not saying you're wrong but other guy's out there have different opinions and some of those guys build 10 engines a day.

The original idea was that the pressure gets stuck between the two rings so gap the lower ring more to let the pressure into the crank case.
Then guy's started gaping the second ring tighter so the pressure stays in to help hold the ring out.
I tend to lean this way because you really need pressure to hold the rings out to seal as that's how they seal.

If you're getting fuel past the top ring then you've built the engine wrong.
ive done mine the more on second ring as it was recommended by JE pistons https://auto.jepistons.com/je-auto-ring-installation-guide-4032-pistons im sure it will operate with many varied changes just up to the builder and the way some factory engines are pushed with boost im sure a more so built engine will be fine main thing is they dont butt anything more is better

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yeah I understand too little ring gap I've done a ring land under heavy boost before on an rb25 lol.

Just trying to figure out what's enough as I'm already going larger then what compaines are reccomending.

It's just hard trying to figure out who or where to believe as I mean even the ring chart up there has a smaller second ring gap then the first under n/a , boost or nitrous.

I know it's something that's very triL and error for a lot but I try to find out the hard way as little as possible these days.
yea id say if in doubt go more as that has less consequences, only if u know the exact heat the combustion will be running at u can then know exactly but for us normal population thats a task to hard to test every day

Reactions: Lex
H

harrop.senator

ive done mine the more on second ring as it was recommended by JE pistons https://auto.jepistons.com/je-auto-ring-installation-guide-4032-pistons im sure it will operate with many varied changes just up to the builder and the way some factory engines are pushed with boost im sure a more so built engine will be fine main thing is they dont butt anything more is better

The je's are forged though. Standard cast and forged the ring/piston info I've had was slightly larger on the second.

But the three manafacturers of hypereutectic have stated that the first gap has to have a much bigger gap then second due to the expansion and the coating on the top.

It's just the box either didn't come with them or he turfed them is the issue I'm having. I think I'll just go a bit on the fat side of the Hastings specs seeing as it's their rings I'm using .

It's just the couple different piston manafacturers for hyper type I've found had different eng gap specs and I don't know who actually made these. They're reboxed something.

Run it quite fat and it should be fine all the piston to wall was set by them and little end pin clearances.

Even on 98 with the intercooler , cam size and tuning capabilities the hyper piston were all that was really required.

The price I got them for I spent the difference on lighter rods lol.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Whollll, that's insane that's an engine built in less than an hour.

Most big high end shops have a guy that only does the rotating assembly then a guy that does machining and a guy that does valve train ect.
So yea they can do those numbers.
Last time I listened to Tony Bischoff being interviewed he said he had three hones going all day and 80 blocks waiting for a hone.