Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

l67 into vs ute things to do while motor is out

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
Hi everyone I'm planning on buying a vx l67 this weekend and if all goes well and it's a good runner.

It's done 200xxxkm, I'm wondering if theres anything that should be done while it's out, I was thinking just give a good degrease and put a mace gasket kit through it which is here. Is it worth doing? and is there anything else?

Thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think I would lift the heads unless you plan to do work on em. The most important gaskets to replace will be the LIM gaskets. Rear main seal might be worth doing but I would only touch what needs doing rather than pulling the whole engine down. Rocker cover gaskets will probably need doing and maybe the sump gasket. I suggest waiting until you see the engine before deciding what to do with it.

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
Thanks yeah I wasn't sure whether it's better to change only whats required or to just replace the lot

H

harrop.senator

Reground mild camshaft and an l36 timing kit is a good cheap upgrade while its out also gives you time to check the water pump condition and the corossion in the timing cover.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
If you have to remove the sump I would trim about 6mm off the oil pump pickup cover. Less likelihood of oil starvation if the timing chain tensioner lets go.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
A good time to replace most of the firewall stuff including heater hoses and anything that perishes over time or those hard to get at things.