Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 manual conversion

Brad_BlackL67Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden 3.8 supercharged vx Calais
Hey I've been looking into converting my l67 into a manual i know t56 would be better than the 5 speeds but I'm having trouble with finding out what parts to get to fit my car with t56 in terms of pedals, clutch master cylinder, loom, cross members etc also i was thinkin stuff it for the price i could just go t5 or something but ill probs go through boxes a lot quicker.. I've seen getrag conversion kits on ebay for 1400 but there for standard 6

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Getting a T5 to work is more custom work than a T56. Don't worry about the Getrag being "just for a 6", many still going strong behind 304s. IMHO opinion, it's either a Getrag that bolts in or a T56 that will require less custom work than a T5.

The only custom bit of gear you might need for a T56 conversion is a tail shaft, maybe a crossmember or cross membe modification, and an adaptor plate which a few people here have used. Other than that, all yoou should just be able to get all of the gear out of an LS VT/VX and it should work.

Brad_BlackL67Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden 3.8 supercharged vx Calais
Okay well i didnt realise that but i was leaning more towards the t56 anyways but I'll have to save up a bit more haha ill start looking into tail shaft, crossmember and adaptor plate now also the wiring loom i think would be different?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Tail shaft and crossmember will likely be custom jobs for a T56 because of the shorter length of the V6.

Can't say too much on the wiring side. You will mainly have to worry about the compatibility of the speed sensor and bridging the park/neutral switch so you can start the car. The other way would be to ge a Getrag loom and see how you go from there.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
T56 conversion is pretty comprehensive n I've done a couple.

Getrag would be my choice of 5 speed and it may last if you don't make much over 200rwkw or drive like a nugget full time

NPC clutches/ fly wheels are awesome and just ensure that you get the getrag or T56 flywheel mirror balanced to the L67 flex plate as the engines have a different moment of inertia. Dowels in the crank are a must and then join the dots from there

Andrew Young

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S2 ute 3.8 getrag
Hey i know its a semi old thread but, will the bolts on the manual flywheel line up with the l67 or do they have to be modified as well? (not the dowels)
Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes, manual flywheel will bolt to the L67. AFAIK bolts are torque to yield and are single use only.