Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 memcal into l36

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
So i read this on another forums and wanted to know what you guys recon, im thinking about doing it myself.
So im putting in a turbo into my stock l36 with l67 fuel pump and injectors i dont plan on running more than the internal wastegate which is at 7.5psi, which ive heard that internal wastegates have a bit of creep so id say maybe a bit more than whats set. If i use the l67 memcal in my car would i be able to turn the car on and be driveable when i have everything installed without a tune? Also upgrading my intake gaskets.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
you'll need to change the pcm to an l67 pcm and you'll either need to have VATS removed from the memcal or have the new pcm linked to the bcm

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
you'll need to change the pcm to an l67 pcm and you'll either need to have VATS removed from the memcal or have the new pcm linked to the bcm
Ok im kinda new to the ecu side of things do is the pmc the ecu itself or is it a part that i can buy/change

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Same thing different name

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
BCM is a different part

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
BCM is a different part
Ok so does that mean i should just buy a full l67 ecu set or can i change the bcm to suit the l67 memcal? And would it have the same plugs as my current one?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
This should be all you need to know.

The v6’s are very simple. Both methods will cost you around the same money if you look around. Can get Vats removed for $50-100 or linking may cost around the same depending on who does it.

Btw pcm controls the auto too, ecu refers to the earlier systems that control the engine only. People tend to use the terms interchangeably.

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
This should be all you need to know.

The v6’s are very simple. Both methods will cost you around the same money if you look around. Can get Vats removed for $50-100 or linking may cost around the same depending on who does it.

Btw pcm controls the auto too, ecu refers to the earlier systems that control the engine only. People tend to use the terms interchangeably.
Ok cool thanks heaps, but i didnt get a answer for if it would be ok to run untuned? Would you have any imput on this?

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
Also where i am getting the l67 memcal (mace) they can remove the VATS so does that mean all i have to do is put in the l67 memcal into a l67 pmc/ecu then into the car and off i go?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
AFAIK yes that’s it. As for the tune, it may or may not work well. No two engines are the same. Best to get a wideband to make sure afr’s are okay.

But tbh you’ll spend more money for less performance by going turbo compared to an l67 top swap if restricting yourself to the stock l67 tune.

If you’re doing a turbo, get it tuned properly.