Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 oil consumption

SV6SIDI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE, FG XR6 TURBO
hey guys , just checked my oil level this morning and noticed it was on the add oil line. oil was changed about 6 months ago and the cars done just under 6,000km since. is it normal for a l67 to use this much oil in that time? car seems to run perfectly. can someone verify if this is normal or is something up with it?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
With these engines you really should change the engine oil and filter every 5000 km or 6 months, whichever comes first, thats if you want long trouble free engine life of course. A lot of ecotecs with 150,000 to 200,000 km or more on the clock will use some oil between changes, the supercharged version would probably start to use oil even sooner as they start to wear out sooner due to the extra strain on things..

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
How is your fuel consumption? If slightly high you may be getting a little bit of bore wash. There's also the chance that whoever did your oil change didnt fill it right in the first place.

SV6SIDI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE, FG XR6 TURBO
just googled bore wash. you got me scared now lol .. fuel consumption hasnt changed 13l around town short trips, i had a look at the oil level after it was serviced and it was full so its not that. the car is slightly modified but doesnt get driven hard only the odd squirt every now and again. Can any one else with an L67 shed any light on there oil comsumption? . hope its nothing major!!

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Maybe that's just how it is. Our maybe there's an issue. I was wiring on a vehicle the other day from America and when they come out new they have a couple of 1 litre oil peaks in the bit as they use about a litre every 2k. It's just standard. Plus they said oil Change every 6k and to check regularly because of this. That to me is a seriously bad designed engine.

gregaust

Reaction score
All engines use a little oil, if the level doesn't drop it is being topped up with contaminants .Thinner oils theses days I find do use some. From my experience in the km you mention that bit of oil use is normal .