Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 Pulley upgrade

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by superCalais, Apr 15, 2009.

1. superCalais

superCalais New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Calais S/C
    hey Guys...

I have been looking at the pulley upgrades out there for the super six's and noticed that there are two options out there that are cheaper than FIT's $534 package.. the first is the option to buy the pulley and use a press to fit it, i thinks its about $190 or so, just wanted to see if anyone has tried it and how it went?

Then there is one at holmart.com.au where it costs $398 but you need to buy the pulley romoval tool, is there another way I can remove the pulley with out having to fork out $200 for the pulley removal tool?

Cheers Guys!

2. chargedvx6

chargedvx6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY SII HBD Calais L67
    Yella Terra press on pulley is the go. You can remove the snout from the charger and use a bearing press if the tool is out of reach for you.

There are plenty of blokes around with the tools on the forums, maybe post a wanted to borrow ad?

3. Raging Bull

Raging Bull New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S Pack L67
    I've spoken to Holmart about that pulley package, he said even he reckons it's a rip off and can't remember ever selling one. The Yella Terra ones are the cheapest or maybe check out zzperformance American website, same stuff for the same engine but much cheaper.

4. don0xer

don0xer Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
  5. badaz

badaz New Member

Members Ride:
    Supercharged VX S
    Mate I did the Yella Terra10psi pulley up grade awhile ago, I didn't have the tool to take the pulley off but my mechanic contacted Yella Terra direct and bought one through them. So ask around the mechanics in your area to see if any one has the tool.
    Its a great upgrade to, you will be very happy when its done.

6. superCalais

superCalais New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Calais S/C
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a go

7. redcv6

redcv6 supercharged intercooled

Members Ride:
    vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
    go for the mace product.

8. sandbar1000

sandbar1000 New Member

Members Ride:
    vt s/c spak
    yella terra where doing a change over a while back, when i did mine, cost me 220.

gave them the old one, the gave me the new one..

the difference with the 500 buck jobs is the snout is tottaly remanufactured, and has bigger bearings etc..... to cope with the greater loads that are \\placed on it due to the constant higher reving,,,,....

davo.....

9. vsl67

vsl67 Member

Members Ride:
    VS l67 statesman
    I use the mace pulley havent had any problems

10. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Well it depends on what you want out of your car now and later on down the track.

For instance if you never plan on running an intercooler or getting a custom tune then your best option might be to get the YT press on pulley

However if you decide you want more boost down the track, then bang for buck you can't go past a modular pulley setup.

If not, it may work out being more expensive if you had to replace the press on pulley because you want more boost down the track.

We supply these boost upgrade kits for $295, including the loan of the pulley removal and installation tool.

The factory snouts are plenty strong, strong enough to last powering cars in making over 400hp at the treads in the US, and other high end competition cars here locally :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  11. camtech

camtech New Member

Members Ride:
    s/charged vt and vy on 20's
    I used the mace pulley. soak area with wd40 or similar, grip behind pulley, wind a bolt into the thread and press onto the end of bolt. Use 3 long bolts to wind new pulley on. wind 2 bolts into the new pulley and use these to lock a screw drive into. then simply wind the pulley on with the other bolt and a heap of washers. Order new gasket before fitting, rubbing the surface with wet and dry will help too, dont press too hard.