Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 rebuild advice

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman Vt commodore
So my uncle is selling me a vx Calais, the original engine had a bad head, so he brought another engine, swapped it over and turns out that has a bad bottom end so we're planning to build one good one out of the two, he suggested just putting a cheap L36 into as the gasket kit would be about the same price but, I'm not too fussed with the hassle as I'm pretty eager to use it as a learning curve. My question is, is there anything else I should need other then the gasket set or should do while we're at it?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I would put original engine back in and take heads off to have a look. If it seems okay, then swap heads from #2 motor with new gaskets etc and roll on.
Great learning experience.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So the VX is supercharged?

Can tell your unlce that even if you did wanna put an Ecotec in you still need to go through the cost of having buying another ECU and having somebody link it.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
if it is a L67 agree with R_J_K i recently did a top swap from L36 to 67 its the same long process injectors fuel pump fuel rail ecu and loom and blancer all have to be changed then hope the ecu is linked properly like what happen to me did a top swap had mech link ecu and was not correctly done

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
plus the its probably going to cost about $1000 to $1500 buying the heads inlet manifold plenum rails balancer it will all add up something that is not relay mentioned when swapping tops ether way L36 to 67 or L67 to 36

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers duece, that's what we were thinking and spot on, appreciate the advice mate

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers guys I did look up swapping it over to l36 and came across the same thing yous were saying not really worth it in that case, I'll stick to making the one running out of the two, fingers crossed I don't run into any other issues but from what I can tell shouldn't be too bad.

Edit: draft fucked up on me and im out the bush with no service,
Was also going to say is it possible to manual swap a l67, read they only came in an auto so wasn't sure

Last edited:

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
So my uncle is selling me a vx Calais, the original engine had a bad head, so he brought another engine, swapped it over and turns out that has a bad bottom end so we're planning to build one good one out of the two, he suggested just putting a cheap L36 into as the gasket kit would be about the same price but, I'm not too fussed with the hassle as I'm pretty eager to use it as a learning curve. My question is, is there anything else I should need other then the gasket set or should do while we're at it?
So the second engine is that a L67 aswell or is it a L36?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
well then unless the donor engine has something wrong the transplant should be ok no fussing around just remember head bolts are 34NM of torque then up to 90NM of torque or 90 Degree tighten what ever comes first, rocker bolts should be replaced as they are torque to yeald bolts and the seals around rocker cover bolts replace them as well even if they look good they should be included in a valve regrind kit