Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Doing an l67 rebuild and one of the rods is stuffed. The person I got it off said they are forged but I'm not sure. I couldn't find the ones he said he had so I brought a factory replacement and was wondering if it would sit fine along side the others. Thanks

Attachments

• received_1848210105190918.jpeg
    received_1848210105190918.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 396

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Doing an l67 rebuild and one of the rods is stuffed. The person I got it off said they are forged but I'm not sure. I couldn't find the ones he said he had so I brought a factory replacement and was wondering if it would sit fine along side the others. Thanks

This is the replacement rod

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170927-212318.png
    Screenshot_20170927-212318.png
    687.4 KB · Views: 324

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I certainly wouldn't be mixing and matching different rod types/weights. What happened to the rod? Hard to see much from the pic.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
first photo doesn't look factory, second one looks factory. I wouldn't be mixing and matching, different weights/balance and strengths to start with, what happened to the original rod? is the rest of the engine in good nick? I would be checking everything over. See if you can find out what rods the originals are and try sourcing another one. Pistons look aftermarket, id be replacing one with the same or replace them all and have it balanced and checked along with the crank.

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
I certainly wouldn't be mixing and matching different rod types/weights. What happened to the rod? Hard to see much from the pic.
It has bearing melted to it and the groove it all chipped up

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Probably worth sourcing a good ecotec crank and finding a complete set of factory L67 rods and having them resized.

What are your goals for this engine? Factory l67 bottom ends seem to handle 200rwkw+ without too much trouble, however usually with an a2a intercooler or a turbo setup.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
so either balance was out, clearances not right or lost oil pressure, possibly more scenarios, crank would be no good by the sounds of it, so another crank and rod then new bearings and a full balance to check

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Probably worth sourcing a good ecotec crank and finding a complete set of factory L67 rods and having them resized.

What are your goals for this engine? Factory l67 bottom ends seem to handle 200rwkw+ without too much trouble, however usually with an a2a intercooler or a turbo setup.

Already have another crank. Near impossible to find l67 rods. Just wanted to have an l67 in my car lol no real plans

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i wouldn't be mismatching rods, wont be in there long otherwise lol

Get some better pictures of the rods, someone might be able to ID them.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Can get a complete l67 bottom end cheap. I sold a complete bottom end 12 months ago for $150 IIRC. Hardest part about putting an l67 together is finding heads that aren't cracked. They're ALL cracked.

Could always use an ecotec bottom end for some more poke and just have it tuned to suit.