Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L76 VE SSV Oil?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Do you use lifter free with every service? I’ve not run it before in mine for the two years I’ve had the SSV.

I’m thinking it’s probably good to put it in with every oil change as insurance against lifter problems.
Yes mate I use it every service it may well be overkill but my engine runs nice and smooth and quiet so don’t mind spending a little bit extra each oil change

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i always though the lifter free and such was put in say couple hundred km before the oil change so it frees it up as it has some abrasives to clean the gunk then when new oil is in its all as it should be again
Nah, I think lifter free is more a mixture of detergents to clean **** out of the lifters and supposedly some fancy lube to get them moving like Molybdenum disulfide. The bottle says to add after an oil change and leave it there until the next one. ( I don't use them because Alloytecs are always quiet ;) )

blackjacknz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SSV Ute
Just an update on this…

I contacted Castrol tech and they have confirmed this is a correct oil for the ute. Below is their response….

Magnatec Professional 10w-30 is recommended for your vehicle. Please see the list of trade oils below that are recommended.

When your car was new, Magnatec Professional 10w-30 would have been most popular, used throughout Holden dealerships in Australia

From 2011, GM introduced more precise engine oil specifications for their engines – GM dexos1 5w-30 for petrol. These oils were backwards compatible for petrol engines that previously used 10w-30, so they became most popular for dealerships. Magnatec Professional 10w-30 remained an option for vehicles built prior to 2011.