Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L76 VE SSV Oil?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
if lifter free works as all it does is thin the oil so may as well just use a thinner oil, thinner oils get to more places easier then thicker which is why they can help stop lifter noises, a thicker oil dosnt add any better protection its just thicker unless ur running over 120c oil temps all the time, the film strength is what protects the engine
Well it does reckon that it breaks down the varnish type deposits that can be in the lifters. As to if that’s true or not who knows.

The good synthetic oils like the HPR 5 I’m running probably already has those kind of detergents in them anyway now that I think about it so I’m not likely to get a build up of contaminants anyway.

Having said that I’ve got no idea what the previous owner put in it. I don’t expect that they used good quality oil as after I bought the car I found out it had plain water in the cooling system!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've spoken highly of lifter free, but just add a third or a half a bottle first and see how you go. There has to be a downside to this stuff. Last use was with Enviro 5w-30, I ended up getting greedy and dumping a whole bottle in close to an oil change, in addition to the first bottle that was crept in over 1000's km's previous. 2 bottles is for 10l. Anyways, general mechanical noise from the engine ensued and in general it sounded a bit sick and unlubricated. Dumped oil, which at least to the touch and sight, was a bit on the watery thin side, refilled and the engine was quiet again. It has made me not worry about mild lifter noise since. Use lifter free sparingly, or when picking up first dates, prescious cargo etc.
I used the recommended amount which was about one and a quarter bottles for the L98 with 8.3 litre oil capacity.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i always though the lifter free and such was put in say couple hundred km before the oil change so it frees it up as it has some abrasives to clean the gunk then when new oil is in its all as it should be again

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
i always though the lifter free and such was put in say couple hundred km before the oil change so it frees it up as it has some abrasives to clean the gunk then when new oil is in its all as it should be again
Hmmm, this might be easier than having to idle the engine for 20mins while doing a flush.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Hmmm, this might be easier than having to idle the engine for 20mins while doing a flush.
is the engine safe to be loaded up with those as if its just ment to idle ? may not protect it under hard loads if its in whilst driving vehicle

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the only stuff that should be going thru the lifters is oil, if they need the lifter free up then the oil prob need to be changed sooner as the only gunk that goes in the oil is from running thru the engine too long and all the deposits are building up too much, if ur oil goes in goldie color when its all black its done, i usually change mine when it gets to the brownish stage as the longer u leave it the more contaminates it will be circulating thru the engine

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
is the engine safe to be loaded up with those as if its just ment to idle ? may not protect it under hard loads if its in whilst driving vehicle
Flush you have to idle it, you will do damage driving it. You'll find around here most garages, including dealers use flush every oil change it's common practice. It apparently helps keep the lifters clean. I know not everyone uses it but I follow what has been recommended to me by a few places over the last 20 or so years.

I change my oil at 10k, instead of the 15k recommended in the book.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nulon lifter free tell you to put it in with new oil and leave it in until the next oil change.

blackjacknz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SSV Ute
Just picked up a 10L pack of this. Pricematched Repco at Supercheap for $108.80 and currently Supercheap have a $30 club credit back if you spend over $100 on Penrite! $78.80 for 10L (once i spend the $30)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's really good.