Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L77 AFM oil pump, delete sump pan relief valve, potential oil pressure?

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
I'm halfway through a cam swap and DOD delete in my 2012 SS L77. I'm planning on putting the standard oil pump back in and shimming the pumps relief valve, and I've already deleted the relief valve in the oil pan. From what I've read this setup retains good oil pressure and prevents issues down the track, but then others say to replace the L77 pump with a stock unit such as the L98... but why?

If you've run this setup please share your experiences. If you shimmed the oil pump relief spring how thick should the shim be and what oil pressure is expected?

Pics of the plug (m14, 1.5 x 12mm long) replacing the valve.

l77-oil-a - Copy.jpg
l77-oil-b - Copy.jpg
l77-oil-c - Copy.jpg

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.0 SSVR A6 W457, VF2 6.2 SSVR M6
Hi Jacks, I’d stick with the L77 pump, I believe they are a high volume pump due the AFM stuff, the L98 didn’t have AFM so maybe used a different pump. I’ve done 2 cam upgrades on an L76 VE and my current L77 both with AFM delete , L77 idles with 3.5 bar (50 psi ) hot oil pressure. Not bad I reckon. Can’t comment on the pump shimming. Good luck.