Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L77 DOD Camshaft specs

lowrider636

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline Series 2
Gday Guys ..was wondering if anyone knows the specs of the standard L77 dod camshaft.
Ive done a heap of searching but cant find the specs .

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Same as L76.

Basically 200/208 0.478" 116.5 LSA

But there is more to it in the detail with seperate deac specs.

lowrider636

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline Series 2
Ive seen a couple of articles that state that the cam is different to the l76 but they never gave the specs .
Hence why there is a 10kw difference between the 2

Here is a quote from one website

L77 V8 engine

L77 flex fuel capability
The L77 engine had flex-fuel capability whereby it could run on a mixture of petrol and ethanol up to E85 (i.e. 85 per cent ethanol and 15 per cent petrol). Bio-ethanol is derived from sorghum and by-products linked to the agricultural production of wheat and sugar. Although ethanol has a lower energy density than petrol, ethanol has a higher octane rating which enables it to provide greater performance.

L77 changes
Due to the properties of E85, the changes for the L77 engine included: •hardened intake, exhaust and seat valves;
•a new fuel pump;
•a flex-fuel sensor to detect the ethanol level in the fuel line – this detection occurred after each re-fill and continuously while driving; and,
•Recalibration of the PCM.

L77 for manual transmissions
Models with the L77 engine and manual transmissions did not have an active AFM system and had a higher power output due to their different camshaft profile

This is in reference of the difference between the l76 and l77

Here is a Qoute from GM motorsports

GM Motorsport All 3 engines, L76, L77 & L98 are the same size and basicly the same engine - L98 has no DOD internals, L76 has the DOD internals - L77 has DOD internals and can run on E10 fuel - All Holden VE V8's Series 2 onwards manuals & autos have the L77engine.

December 18, 2011 at 2:56am
GM Motorsport The L77 also have a differant cam and makes aprox 10 more rwkw than the other 2

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I thought that at first, but now I doubt any mechanical difference in the valvetrain apart from the fact l77 lifters have capacity for greater lift at valve, and I don't see anything concrete to back the assumption that there is actually a difference in the lobes for manual or auto with AFM.
Hardened seats just for this particular variant is also highly doubtful, maybe GenIV across the board versus GenIII?
The difference in measured output auto - manual is zero given the same tune - 270 KW @ 5300 RPM, as per the official line and engine dyno from GM for both L76 and L77. 260 KW auto is with AFM stock tune.
The oft quoted 5700 RPM (+400) for L77 peak power is also an anomaly not supported in documentation by GM (the manufacturer not the speed shop). The 5300 choke at 0.478" lift is evidenced by myriad online dyno charts by aftermarket tuners as well.

PeterBuild

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
I have a L77, how can i find out if the DOD parts are still inside or if it´s already removed by the previous owner.
I don´t how who he is, so i can´t ask him.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I have a L77, how can i find out if the DOD parts are still inside or if it´s already removed by the previous owner.
The L77 AFM valley cover does not have the PCV breather. Also the valley cover has raised galleys, not flat. You may need to remove the throttle body to see that.
In other words if the valley plate has a breather pipe coming out the front under the throttle body, and / or the valley plate has a flat surface, then AFM delete has been done. In which case you would likely have a cam, in which case you would likely have a tune, and FBOs.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Also you would feel it, because to delete AFM properly you lift the lids to swap lifters and cam. Most mild cams and tuned L77 will make as much power as a stock HSV LSA.

PeterBuild

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
The L77 AFM valley cover does not have the PCV breather. Also the valley cover has raised galleys, not flat. You may need to remove the throttle body to see that.
In other words if the valley plate has a breather pipe coming out the front under the throttle body, and / or the valley plate has a flat surface, then AFM delete has been done. In which case you would likely have a cam, in which case you would likely have a tune, and FBOs.

Do you maby have some pictures of it?
Since i´m tho only one over here with a Holden, i don´t have any reference....