Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 Bottom mount turbo systems?

Ddridan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
Hi, I have been looking around and I have found many twin turbo setups, but not many single turbo setups, and no bottom mounts. The reason I'm asking for info on bottom mounts is that they look way neater than cluttering the engine bay. I'd like any info on good brands to look out for or whether I'd be better off going down the custom manifold path. Also will LS2 setups be compatible with the L98 to the same effect, I've heard many different things concerning which engine is more capable.
Cheers.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Are you talking about low mount turbos, or are you talking about the ones that sit behind the engine?

captain_slow

Reaction score
Didn't someone in the US mount the turbos for something, possibly a corvette, behind the rear wheel arches, had something to do with reducing turbo temperatures significantly

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I think it would be more due to space and stealth. You want the manifold and I/C piping to be relatively short for response, and heat is part of the waste energy used to drive the turbine. Something like that would be the doughiest setup, but I guess it doesn't matter when you have that much displacement.

Tons of people doing remote mount turbos in America though for some reason.

captain_slow

Reaction score
'Murica! - I guess.

Googled a bunch of obscure turbo stuff and stumbled across someone who is either developing or has developed something called 'inverted function turbocharging' from what I can grasp of the concept they are trying to negate pumping energy loss in the motor by equalising the pressure on both sides of the piston, pretty much turboing the cases too so there isn't a vacuum drag on the piston on it's way back up the cylinder. Kind of like how the powerband in the Suzuki RGV worked by not only using the increased compression to push the piston down but back up again as well. Could be interesting to see in action, could make for a big hand grenade though too

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Would have to be a radical redesign, that is pressurizing the crank case which is not good in a boosted setup.

captain_slow

Reaction score
Yes and no Airstrike, but I'd still like to see one regardless of layout be it l4, v6 or v8. As much to satisfy curiosity as anything else as far as how it would work in practice as well as compared to same bore/stroke with and without a conventional turbo on an engine dyno

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Didn't someone in the US mount the turbos for something, possibly a corvette, behind the rear wheel arches, had something to do with reducing turbo temperatures significantly

Like this one?

greatviewunderc6_800px.jpg

captain_slow

Reaction score
Can you find a picture of the inverted function turbo setup too Rajesh?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!