Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 crazy fuel consumption

Crowie17

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS Thunder
Hey guys, just joined this forum after some comments from you lot. I’ve just recently gotten a vz ss thunder L98, it has a mafless tune by Russo performance, cammed, OTR intake, 3” xforce exhaust with pacemaker extractors. It slurps a ridiculous amount of fuel, I went through roughly 30 litres in 100 is which is nuts, I end up being at the pump every 3-4 days as I work half an hour away from home, I’m looking at the oxygen sensors tomorrow and replacing the intake filter soon, is there anywhere else I should look for problems for this fuel consumption, cheers in advance lads

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Can see your location being Canberra, which from experience actually is designed well for traffic flow (have been there a few times) otherwise i was going to say how much is stop/start as that can effect it to some degree.
But anyway, how much is stop/start and how hard/easy are you on the go fast pedal? As that can effect it to some degree.

Could be very much the tune to some degree.
O2s would be interesting to get an active read on them, However there is the possibility they may be turned off/down in said tune.
Probably not a bad idea to check their condition, Maybe look at the usual other items like Plugs/Leads etc and then go from there.

For comparisons my Thunder (l98 manual, stock except Pacemakers/2.5 Exhaust) will often sit around 10-13L/100 for normal driving, but that involved 70-80% highway stuff. While the SV (LS2, S/C, Cam, Exhaust etc) can easily be up around 16-20L/100 if getting on the loud pedal for normal driving.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
what is your instant cruising fuel usage 60kph 100kph ? also can look at your 02's make sure they are cycling properly in CL

siniSSterbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yeah check O2 sensors. That's crazy as fuel consumption. I average about 13.8 to 14.5with a cam.