Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 Head change

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Hi all,

I am having a new cam and OTR fitted to my VE SS Ute on monday, and have been tossing up the idea of replacing the cylinder heads at the same time, can anyone help with who supplies, price and the advantages of doing it. If there is minimal KW gain then is it really worth the money?

Cheers.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
I was under the impression that the L98 heads were good, it is the auto (AFM) heads that let you down

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I have a 6speed manual, L98 before AFM, it is a 08 model, the mechanic hasn't said to change heads, I am just wanting to maximise all the HP I can without going for a supercharger or turbo.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
if it is only 10-20kw at the most then, he cost to get them machined and/or replaced, doesn't really stack up. So i'll at the moment keep the heads the way they are. There is no evidence to say that replacing them adds a lot of KW gain, so they are saying that are, just a cam and OTR upgrade, plus tune, should be enough for now, anyway

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
L98 heads are fine ... very small power gain for outlay getting them done. OTR, mafless tune, valve springs, push rods, decent cam and full exhaust will get you around the 300rwkw mark.

Clutch is the weakest link ... better to spend the money going for a Xtreme organic kit ... then a ripshifter and 3.7 gears ... thyat'll will give it more get up and go than the extra power from the heads anyway.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I am going for a stage 7 VCM cam, with OTR with the MAF sensor. I have a full X-Force exhaust that has been modified. Going for the billet shifter and full MAF tune, shuld give me about 320RWKW by the end.

As anyone, I always want more.

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
if you get your heads ported well then there are considerable gains to be made if you get a cam grind to suit the heads.

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
better to spend the money going for a Xtreme organic kit ... then a ripshifter and 3.7 gears.

I second the suggestion of 3.7 gears I wish I'd done mine first they give you a feeling of the biggest gain because they take off quicker if I had my time over though I'd go 3.9s you can get from certain diff shops