Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 Oil consumption

ICBM60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey guys,

What would be considered normal oil consumption for the L98 6.0L V8?

I've gone through 500ml in about 8,000km and just wondering if that's normal or if I should start worrying.
From the little research i've done apparently these engines are supposed to consume some oil.

TIA!

Regards,
Michael

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Sounds perfectly normal to me! Almost all cars will use a small amount of oil in between services

500ml certainly nothing to be concerned about

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yip that amount of oil is really nothing to be concerned about mate they use oil coz of the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) system so it ends up in your intake manifold unfortunately u can fit an aftermarket oil catch can if you want to but it’s fine to leave as is and just top the oil up when it needs it

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If you look at the owners manual I think they say up to 1L per 5000km is acceptable for an LS.

Thats pretty normal.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
If you look at the owners manual I think they say up to 1L per 5000km is acceptable for an LS.

Thats pretty normal.
3 litres lost between schedule servicing would be leaving you with a very dry dip stick and a 40% loss of oil. Even OP, with a loss of nearly a 1 litre between scheduled servicing would barely make it to the minimum mark on the stick. Mine has over 150k on the clock with negligible change on the dipstick at 7500km oil changes.

ICBM60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
3 litres lost between schedule servicing would be leaving you with a very dry dip stick and a 40% loss of oil. Even OP, with a loss of nearly a 1 litre between scheduled servicing would barely make it to the minimum mark on the stick. Mine has over 150k on the clock with negligible change on the dipstick at 7500km oil changes.
Yeah mine was on the low mark and I dumped inj about half a litre and it brought it back up to half way as i'd prefer it just under than accidently go over.
So it looks more like ive gone through around a 1L in 8,000km.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yeah mine was on the low mark and I dumped inj about half a litre and it brought it back up to half way as i'd prefer it just under than accidently go over.
So it looks more like ive gone through around a 1L in 8,000km.
Still wouldn’t be too concerned mate I’ll bet your throttle body and intake will be gunked up, would probably be wise to take the throttle body off and give it a good clean if it hasn’t been done in a while or at all. Also would pay to check your oil more regularly by the sounds of it

ICBM60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Still wouldn’t be too concerned mate I’ll bet your throttle body and intake will be gunked up, would probably be wise to take the throttle body off and give it a good clean if it hasn’t been done in a while or at all. Also would pay to check your oil more regularly by the sounds of it

I try and check it atleast once a week an noticed it slowly depleting.
Just worked out once it got to the low point and I dropped half of a 1L bottle that it had chooched through about 1L as it reached half way on the dipstick :)
Im new to this car and these cars in general and have always tried to check oil and coolant levels atleast once a week on the weekend