Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 Start up issues

MEIERZY

Reaction score
Members Ride
L98 Powered Patrol
Hi there.
I have a L98 powered Nissan Patrol (please no death threats haha) that I am having start up issues with, and haven't had any luck searching for similar threads.
When starting, it will cough and splutter and stall, or run on a couple of cylinders. If you rev the piss out of it for a few seconds it will then run fine.
I found a cracked fuel hose between filter and regulator and replaced thinking it might be having pressure build up issues. But no such luck.
I'm leaning towards fuel pump or regulator as it feels like a fuel supply issue, but i'm not too familiar with the L98 having owned diesels previously.
I'll be getting hold of a scan tool and checking codes as soon as I can.
Its been suggested that its a possible failed crank angle sensor, but its only on start up and I would assume it would run rough all the time if this has failed?
Any help would be much appreciated.

BJ253

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
How did you go with this? I am having the same thing happen now, same set-up. L98 in a Nissan patrol.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
had start up issues on my L98, was crank sensor, when it did start and run, ran fine (started 99.9% of the time) then eventually didnt, new sensor, not missed a beat 2 years