Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 top end failure

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
so my 2010 ss hasnt even had its first 3000km check up and driving along i hear a dirty ticking, i was hoping it was a shagged cv or uni. then as i dropped down gears and the revs picked up so did the ticking, same noise as when i spun a big end in the VN i used to have. field service mullet comes out and reckons its **** something in the valve train. exhaust leak is out of the question coz before he turned up i unplugged the injectors one by one on the RH bank and it was still there. seeing as these have hydraulic lifters its obviously not a valve clearance adjaustment issue and more than likely something in there has **** itself, anyone else blown one of these up before?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Boooo...must be spew'n man...bl. Hopefully Holden will do the right thing by you and with minimal fuss as I'm sure they will.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
This is exactly what warranty is for.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Is it a auto with cylinder deactivation, lifters are noisy in them

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
nah its manual, the fact that they have the afm wouldnt make a difference to whether the lifters are noisey or not. Same engines, id say the only difference is the ecu will do a calculation between rpm, ground speed and convertor speed to simpley cut out injectors when it doesnt need to run on 8

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
well its still all part of the valve train, something between the cam and the valves is ####ed, its as simple as that

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I believe there was a bad batch of cams, or lifters. One of the two. And the lobes on the camshaft becomes damaged, and noisy.

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
these engine have roller lifters or the oldskool cylindre shape tappets?

Malus

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Maloo
I had the same problem, took my ute back to holden at 2000km and they said they couldnt hear anything out of the oridinary. Waited until 10K and serviced the car with castrol edge 5w30 and most of the noise went away.