Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 top end failure

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
well so far ive bveen argueing with about 8 differnet people all claiming no warrenty coz i have otr, a tune and a 3 inch system, they havent even pulled the rocker covers off to have alook. ricey i though you were look after me mate, no one wants to know about it untill i pull the ####en VISA out. i guess ill keep u all posted on how this shitfight goes

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
tune theres your warrenty void right there probably even more so if its only done 3000km cause the tunes setup for safe run in from holden all the blame will be on your mods best of luck

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yeh fair enough if they take that stance but theres no way a small horsepower increase will affect the top end of an engine. the bottom end takes all the forces from combustion and these have 6 bolt mains. i havent touched the cam so timing is the same, rpm obviously wont alter and neither will valve duration. so basically if they try and tell me a tune has caused a rocker arm to **** or bent a pushrod, they can get ####ed, its not plausable. so at this point ive said ill pay for 2 hours labour to investigate in order for them to determin whether its warrenty or not i still dont see how it takes 2 hours to pull a rocker cover off, you got work experiance kids on today or soemthing RiCeY?, after the amount of phone calls and ridiculous conversations i had this morning im a bit sketchy on the outcome but im still pretty confident holden will be paying for this

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Mate I agree with what you just wrote, BUT, even if its not plausible it doesn't change the fact that they now have dick-all responsibility to fulfill the warranty obligations.

Also I'm sure there are a few ways that a dodgy tune could wreck your top-end. Keep in mind that I'm not saying your tune was bad, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
i know thats true, what shits me is all these office cocks reckon they used to be on the tools, and just flat out dont even consider my argument.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Is a bong a tool, then they may be telling the truth. I remember once while waiting for the spare parts dude to free up, one of the other Holden workers who I saw walk out of the workshop, asked if I was being looked after, I said yeah I'm right just waiting for spare parts dude, he asked what I was looking for, I said an ABS electronic control module to replace mine which shat itself, the confused look he had on his face made me want to ask what the hell he was doing in the workshop near cars or tools.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If they don't come to the party, try some thicker oil.
Failing that, if its just a conventional hyrdaulic lifter setup, check for a crook pushrod.

redneck08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
yeh pushrod or a shagged rocker is what my money is on

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah, fairly easy to repair.
I seen some roller rockers going on ebay for $200. Easy to fit as well. (Dunno how good the $200 jobs are though, considering YT charge $700 or more)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Anyone messing with their engine, when the car is under warranty, better check with the dealer on warranty implications before they undertake ANY modifications, including tuning. That goes for other mods also.

IF a warranty claim is denied because you modified the car it's your fault. You rolled the dice and lost. Read and understand the conditions of warranty.

If your claim is rejected because you modified your car what are your options? Very few. Lawyers are very expensive and for most claims it will not be worth the high cost. GMs in house legal team will easily outlast you.

Don't mess with your car when it's under warranty.