Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lachlan's 1986 VL Calais auto

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hey guys, time for my first update.

Being a poor uni student, I havnt been able to do as much as I would have liked so far. But I have been saving up a little bit lately.

So far the car has:

• 3 out of 5 polished Calais wheels (including spare)
• Brand new waterpump, alternater, stater motor, master cylinder and timing belt kit.
SDC11678-1.jpg

• KnN panel filter
SDC11679.jpg

• Bosch platinum plus spark plugs
• Slightly less shi**y ignition leads
• Painted rocker cover white
whiterockercover.jpg

• 4000 K headlights
• Brand new drivers side front power window regulator, reconditioned passengers side front power window regulator. And I’m in the process of reconditioning the rear power windows but there are a real bitch to put back in so it is taking a while
• New brake pads and Gates racing drive belt

My auo transmission has slowly been dying (clunking into gears and slipping) so today i picked up a second hand one from the wreckers, will chuck that in in a few weekends time, it needs a clean and service for now
SDC11675.jpg
Also picked up a few sets of bonnet struts, but i forgot the piece that screws onto the bonnet :cry: so ill have to get them from the wreckers some time soon
SDC11672.jpg

I’ll also be geting a few things between now and the summer holidays and then spending a few weeks installing it all. This includes:
• 2.5” Mendrel bent exhaust with dump pipe tip and extractors
• Bonnet and boot strut pieces
• Sub and amp setup hopefully soon to
• Venetians (if I can ever find some)

I do have a few mechanical/electrical/aesthetical bugs I need to tend to
• Boot release button in glove box has stopped working
• Pop up headlights no longer moving without pulling them up (after a minor accident :doh:)
• Rear window needs to be jammed up until regulator is fixed
• High beam not staying on

Heres a few pics
SDC11581.jpg

SDC11593.jpg

SDC11589.jpg

SDC11580.jpg

SDC11577.jpg

SDC11576.jpg

Hope you all enjoy, ill try to update a bit more often. Any suggestions and opinions welcome
Thanks, VLC86

Last edited:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
bay is looking better.. as for the bonnet struts the part that bolts on the bonnet is just a piece u can get from repco etc.. it goes in the front of the 2 bolts which bolt the bonnet on the hinges... small nipple looking piece. then the strut simply clicks on this piece.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
bay is looking better.. as for the bonnet struts the part that bolts on the bonnet is just a piece u can get from repco etc.. it goes in the front of the 2 bolts which bolt the bonnet on the hinges... small nipple looking piece. then the strut simply clicks on this piece.

Haha yeah, bay is all cleaned out. Ill pop into super cheap and see if they have the strut holders there during the week.

On another note, here are some photos of my lights i installed. There are 2 blue leds in the front footwells, 1 blue dash 6" neon that moves to the beat of the music and 2 overhead black lights in the rear (they make everything white glow awesome). They are all wired up to a switch mounted in the dash and the centre light acan be independently switched on/off.
SDC11694.jpg

SDC11693.jpg

SDC11691.jpg

SDC11690.jpg

Nifty 37

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
Mate!!! I have a good vl auto at my house.I would have given it to u.I live in gympie so woulda been just the freight.Ohh well if any one wants 1 pm me!!Minus torque converter.!!

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Damn, oh well i guess i missed out. you could post ift in the for sale section. Im sure someone will take it.

So today i picked up a dump pipe tip and polished it up
SDC11696.jpg

SDC11698.jpg

Also, tried to put in the bnnet struts but they are aren't strong enough to hold the bonnet up :(

Should be getting exhaust this week or early next week

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Spoke to exhaust shop today they are booked out until friday next week. So car won't be in for another few weeks, after im home from NZ :D Its killing me, but time for some audio gear next. Fusion warehouse sale this weekend :) so might get some dash speakers, amp and a small sub.

Today i freshened up the interior a bit. This included taking the door panels off, and treating them with some carpet cleaner. Came out alot cleaner
Before:
SDC11681.jpg

After:
SDC11681.jpg

SDC11685.jpg

Also did the same for rear seats
SDC11683.jpg

Also, if anyone has, or knows where I can find this piece of trim. It would be much appreciated (Chrome is intact, just need plastic)
SDC11687.jpg

SDC11688.jpg

Sorry about the mismatched photo sizes. I can't seem to fix it

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
rare spares deal them. you can get them cheaper from sss automotive in perth but im not sure if they have a branch in brissie and you'd pay the difference in price through postage.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I might give rare spares a go, see how much they charge. Anyone know how different the non-calais trim is? Surely it wouldnt be any/much different, just without the chrome strip

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
its just the clips and chrome strip thats different. the actual plastic part is the same. the side skirts are the only bodykit part of the calais apart from the black garnish on the rear that is different between the exec and calais afaik

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
its just the clips and chrome strip thats different. the actual plastic part is the same. the side skirts are the only bodykit part of the calais apart from the black garnish on the rear that is different between the exec and calais afaik

Thanks man, so i can just clip my chrome trim onto the standard one? Ill have to stop by the wreckers and see if i can find one laying around and just respray it.

Well the other day driving to my girlfriends place the rear muffler fell off :( Rusted completely through. So the other day i went and picked up my exhaust from Scotts Rods in Ipswich. Iv decided to put the exhaust in myself and save a bit of cash.
SDC11724.jpg

Spent a few hours last night trying to get the damn studs off where the exhaust meets the cat but couldn't manage it. So going to get the local mechanic to blast it with a blowtorch to loosen it up today and hopefully ill have it all in tonight :D

Also gave the new gearbox ill be putting in a good clean and a service (including gasket and filter) The old pan didn't have any specks of metal i it or anything so im hoping that means it is in alright condition?
SDC11706.jpg

SDC11731.jpg

SDC11729.jpg

Also, some pictures of the calais rims polished. Looks pretty nice
SDC11704.jpg
[/QUOTE]