Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seaair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser VR v8
Ignition issue for the Guru,s.... I have a Landcruiser 80 series with a marks conversion running a VR V8 Calais engine etc. it randomly stopped working after my inlet manifold gasket was replaced. It runs well for a few days then stops while driving then takes up to a week to start again. It stopped again on Monday had a long walk home after draining both batteries. Did a lot of reading and worked through most of the things to test the ignition module but got to the last test which was to disconnect the 6 pin from the module bridge the grey/red to the black and the White /black to the red then use my low power led test light on the blue/white and connected to the positive battery and then crank over.... No blinking of the test light.. Sooo thinking it is not he Hall effect sensor... Interesting though reconnected the 6 pin to the ignition module and it started... Hmmm... Then made it a little down the road and stopped again, repeated the process and she fired again made it ho,e and parked her up.... Given all the info does this sound like I need to pull her to bits and replace the Hall effect sensor or any other ideas before I rip off the intake manifold etc to get to it?????
Open to suggestions
Thanks heaps

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Before you start replacing things, consider that maybe just moving the wiring harness and disconnecting/reconnecting connectors might be what resolved the problem? If the engine runs, can you wriggle the wiring and/or connectors to make it splutter or stop?

It might be a break in a wire or a bad contact, which can be affected by vibration, torque and even thermal changes.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Try and borrow an ignition module off someone. They're usually the problem. Is the tacho smooth, or a bit jumpy? What dash cluster are you using?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd be looking at alternator too, I had a similar problem to this last week.

Start her up and disconnect the battery, and go for a short drive. If the car conks out, that's your alternator. Alternatively, check the charge at idle over a period of time, should be 13+ volts.

Seaair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser VR v8
Thanks for the quick reply, I had a really good go at that during one of the times she was running but moving and wiggling things didn't seem to result in a failure, even holding the tongue in a different direction didn't help.......

Seaair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser VR v8
I was worried about that as it seems to be the norm with them, but going through the tests it seems to come up ok, I do plan to ask a couple of the friends if they have a spare just to confirm it is cleared entirely out of the mix

Seaair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser VR v8
Thanks RJK, that is definitely one of the issues although I'm not sure it's entirely the problem but yes I do get all the warning lights come up intermittently and notice a volt drop from a charge of about 14.35 down to 12.4 then it will pick back up, but it baffles me if this was the issue then why won't it start at least all of the time and then konk it while driving? Batteries are definitely suffering from it all...

Seaair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser VR v8
Sorry EYY in relation to cluster I am running the standard Landcruiser 80 series one....

Seaair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser VR v8
Thanks ari666 it's one of those ones that uses you as a part of the circuit and is supposedly sensor safe it has an LED and buzzer and triggers from 3 to 28 volts DC... When I bridged the wires and tested the blue /white wire I noticed an initial couple of blinks of the light prior to turning her over but then nothing when turning over, thus suspecting the Hall Effect?