Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lane change assist

Pedroman5128

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calias V 2019
My lane change alert does not beep if I unintentionally cross the white lane line. From memory and I'm elderly it has always beep beep beep if the vehicle goes near the line and vehicle corrects it self with auto steering applied to bring it back to the lane. I have a my19 calias v. AHolden where I took it said that's normal as they do not do an audible beep in this situation I have checked the settings and it gives an option to disable if required mine is set to active so it should beep. Can you please advise as Holden have a different opinion. Also the volt guage sits well under 14 volts even at night at times when lights are on. They also advise that is how it works at other times it will sit just above 14. Is this correct. I can recall where the lane change assist beeped and the volts always sat just above 14. Thankyou for any responses

Thanks for all the responses Also note on page 306 in the manual it states there should be an audible tone in the above situation. Also please advise re the volt guage dropping to about 10 / 11 whilst driving, I think it use to always sit just above 14. TY

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
My lane change alert does not beep if I unintentionally cross the white lane line. From memory and I'm elderly it has always beep beep beep if the vehicle goes near the line and vehicle corrects it self with auto steering applied to bring it back to the lane. I have a my19 calias v. AHolden where I took it said that's normal as they do not do an audible beep in this situation I have checked the settings and it gives an option to disable if required mine is set to active so it should beep. Can you please advise as Holden have a different opinion. Also the volt guage sits well under 14 volts even at night at times when lights are on. They also advise that is how it works at other times it will sit just above 14. Is this correct. I can recall where the lane change assist beeped and the volts always sat just above 14. Thankyou for any responses

The voltage issue can be the battery or battery programing. I haven't worked on any of these cars but I assume they're just like all other cars with computer controlled alternators and have a amp meter monitoring the battery. If you charge or jump start the battery off the posts it can cause the system to play up and requires a reset.

With the beep that sounds like a programming issue. If they change the setting on and off at the dealer with their computers it might override the system and reactivate the beep.
Why you want a beep active is beyond me as any cars that beep irritate me which is why I drive a old carby 4cyl ute as my daily.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My lane change alert does not beep

It does not beep in mine, it will chime and say take the steering wheel when i intentionally let the steering wheel go to allow lane assist to steer the vehicle but it does not beep if i stray from the lane just driving normally, all it does is attempts to steer the vehicle to keep it in the lane.

It is the same in the equinox.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It does not beep in mine, it will chime and say take the steering wheel when i intentionally let the steering wheel go to allow lane assist to steer the vehicle but it does not beep if i stray from the lane just driving normally, all it does is attempts to steer the vehicle to keep it in the lane.

It is the same in the equinox.
Interesting. The Subarus just beep at you but I was driving a Mondeo and it was silent but kept trying to put me back on track if I let it but I could override it at any time.
I've never driven a ZB yet.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
My car does not beep, but I get the light come up on the drivers display when it activates. I also note it doesn't activate when you indicate before crossing the white line.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i have lane assist and stop/start disabled.

there are 2 different systems lane keep assist(LKA) and lane departure warning(LDW) and according to the pressroom all variants of the zb have both systems.

so at some stage there should be an audible tone when LKA fails to correct the problem but i never recall having it beep before i disabled it.
the only time it made a sound was when it said take the steering wheel and it was the same type of chime you get when you leave the keys in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
With all tne different tones, beeps and farts a modern car makes, it can be confusing knowing what the car is actually trying to tell you. IMO this is a comment issue as most brands simply aren’t intuitive.

One exception I’ve driven is a BMW which does a subtle steering wheel shake when drifting out of ones lane... Didn’t need to read a manual to work out anything, it just seemed intuitive so I steered back into my lane...

Ive never liked the concept of the car steering for me in some situations. Either the car drives or I do. Back seat chatter or steering wheel shake is acceptable. Having a manual say one thing and dealer say someth8ng else about how a feature works simply means tne UI is crap and it should be redone.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
Unless the Lane Departure Warning (LDW) systems are different between the Holden and Buick, and I have no reason to believe they are, then the beep does exist. I have experienced the LDW beeping at me exactly once in the two years and 11,500 miles I have owned the car.

The Scenario
Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) were active. It happened on a section of road that changes from two lanes to three lanes to allow for passing. Instead of moving to the slow lane, shown below, I kept driving straight into the passing vehicle lane. As soon as I crossed the red dotted lines, there was an audible beep and the digital cluster showed the LDW graphic depicted in the owner's manual.
1600319252432.png

Passing Lane.png
There were at least a half dozen passing lanes like this on the rest of that particular drive. I tried reproducing the LDW each time so I could film it, but it never went off again... convenient, I know.

Take Steering
To add to @stooge's comment on the "Take Steering" message, here's an image I captured of it. There is also a beep associated with the graphic, but it's almost more of a relaxing "elevator arrived at your floor" sort of tone.
IMG_20190812_230038__02.jpg

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Unless the Lane Departure Warning (LDW) systems are different between the Holden and Buick, and I have no reason to believe they are, then the beep does exist. I have experienced the LDW beeping at me exactly once in the two years and 11,500 miles I have owned the car.

The Scenario
Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) were active. It happened on a section of road that changes from two lanes to three lanes to allow for passing. Instead of moving to the slow lane, shown below, I kept driving straight into the passing vehicle lane. As soon as I crossed the red dotted lines, there was an audible beep and the digital cluster showed the LDW graphic depicted in the owner's manual.
There were at least a half dozen passing lanes like this on the rest of that particular drive. I tried reproducing the LDW each time so I could film it, but it never went off again... convenient, I know.

Take Steering
To add to @stooge's comment on the "Take Steering" message, here's an image I captured of it. There is also a beep associated with the graphic, but it's almost more of a relaxing "elevator arrived at your floor" sort of tone.

I loved making the chime "take steering" in the following cars. Equinox, ZB Commodore, Acadia and Astra. The Astra Sedan (Korean) had the worse steering lane assist as it was too aggressive. The other cars gently returned to the lane while the sedan jumped into the lane and sort of over corrected.