Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Larger throttle body/plenum spacer: worth it?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Hey mace I am buying a larger throttle body and larger air flow meter
Someone was saying u sell modifidy ecu to make larger throttle body work better also does this work with the larger air flow meter or is it a differant tune?

its not an ecu mate, from what i remember they give you a tuned memcal to suit, for the airflow meter im not too sure i never done that mod

Wildsheep

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vs 1996
I had a v6 vy 1 tonner, auto.
I installed the 12mm spacer and cold air intake from mace.
There was a great improvement with these alone. I noticed a higher power range, smoother and easily noticeable quicker gear changes and a slight kick in power and torque.
I just purchased a v6 vs, manual and will defiantly be purchasing them again.
I highly recommend them, cheap, easy to instal and great improvement.

ae85.6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Ecotec VY Commodore Wagon
Like Jhawk I am also in NZ and was going to look at deleting the cat in my vy exhaust as we do not have to run them here, I had a look under a while ago and the header pipes going to cat seemed to be twin 2" and was a single 2.25" coming out of it so not 2.5 on mine unless is model dependent sorta deal. Will mean making a "Y" piece to replace the cat unless someone sells pre made decat pipes for them which would be awesome but I have not found them as yet. Was thinking of maybe also removing the rear muffler to further free things up just with the stock pipe unless anyone has done and it made it too loud otherwise might just start with cat first. Trying to keep it a quiet cruiser but a bit more is all good if when foot is up it.

Mace,
Have been looking at some of your products also and was thinking of some spacers, possibly rollers and the vy pcm but just wandering with the pcm what level of things I can for this as the description said programmed to suit to an extent. Obviously best done last I guess to be closer to application but can I get the pcm to suit certain things and install while I am doing them or does different levels cover a couple mods etc ?

Cheers

samblades

Reaction score
Members Ride
Current: 2007 VE Calais V 6.0L. Ex: 2003 VY S M5
lm in Nz too. First thing I did when I got my vy v6 6 months ago was smash the cat out. For a free, quick job, I tell you what, it makes a wicked difference!! I would definatley recommend it if your wanting a change with the stock exhaust. I have been told tho that if you want to change exhaust from cat back, leave it in as it may make it too droney because its a resonator. But otherwise, do it. Youl notice a big difference. Ive also removed the intake pipe going into the airbox, leaving the hole down the bottom open. That made a little difference too in sound and performance. Good thing about that one is that you can put it back on haha.

Ive got mace 12mm manifold insulator, 69m TB, 82º thermostat and the upgraded ECU ($100 on trade me) sorry i didnt get it from you mace :(. In future, I want to make a cold air intake and also upgrade exhaust headers. Speaking of intake pipe, am i right in saying internal diameter of it is 3 1/8"?

power_hungry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s2 commodore
hi guys i've just come across the spacers and want to know is everyone running just the top spacer only or using both,if i just run the 24mm spacer,is my bonnet going to be able to close?
also MACE i was looking at a cam package for stock 3.8 ecotec i want lumpy sound with drivability

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
So its all you Unzudder's that are poking holes in the ozone layer...and the Aussies get the blame and melanoma's :D