Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Larger throttle body/plenum spacer: worth it?

jhawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VS track car (in progress)
Hi guys

I have a VT Ecotec. Will be running a cold air box setup of sorts, Pacemaker headers and custom 2.25" exhaust.

Just wondering if Mace Engineering (MACE ENGINEERING GROUP) has a good rep, and whether the following mods are worth it:

Enlarged throttle-body
Plenum Spacer
Manifold Insulator

It's actually mostly the larger throttle body I'm after, but I'm wondering if I were to get that, whether it would be worth getting the other two manifold bits as well, or whether the whole lot is really just a complete waste of $$$?

cheers heaps

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I haven't got any of their products but have been following them closely as I'm semi-inclined to get some myself and from what I've read about them, they do give a noticeable improvement in torque and lets you climb the revs a bit faster.

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
Sorry to change the subject, but have you actually got the 2 1/4 exhaust fitted yet? I have been interested in hearing how one sounds for quite some time now!

jhawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na exhaust isn't fitted yet... being in NZ I won't be running a cat, so I'm not sure it will be a very good example as something to listen to.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
no cat lol. what fuel do you use then ? I'm also interested in the spacers. If they work its a great way to get more torque without more fuel

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
how would you gain anything from a 2.25" exhaust? the stock one is the same size...

Yeah, some say this is stock size, some say stock it less that 2 inch... best way to check is measure the tailpipe.

jhawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Uh maybe I meant 2.5 lol. I haven't sorted it yet.

Back OT, has anyone used this stuff, doesn it make a worthy difference?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I installed one on my friends ute. The throttle body is a bit of a psycological mod because more air is able to go in at the lower throttle positions so it gives you a fake feeling of power - if you get one you'll notice that between 70-100% fully open your acceleration will be the same, because the car doesn't have the lungs to suck in any more air.
Having said that, when he got the heads ported and polished to match the throttle body there was a definate improvement.