Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Larger wheel diameter - slower acceleration

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No @VS 5.0 I prefer the look of the 20” wheels and low profile tyres on my MSE, bugger the higher fuel consumption or higher moment of inertia it causes.

That merc design may appeal to the child skate boarder in some :p

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
High sidewall tyres may help improve contact patch on acceleration but they’d be absolute crap at corners. This is why you don’t see high sidewall tyres in wiggly circuit racing...
downloadfile.jpg

...unless you can hold the tiny clutch in one hand

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
So not a fan of this look then @Skylarking ?

grS6WGi.jpg

I love that rim and tyre combo, what brand are they?

No Holden I own or have owned gets through a corner as quick as this setup.

But if I push it really hard going into a tight bend and it starts to understeer, the front tyre's chatter something awful.

So when they wear out I'm going to replace them with something that has a lower profile and hopefully I won't have to listen to that awful sound. :D

IMG_3656 b.jpg

IMG_4428 b.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@saroadie I knew I shouldn’t use vague term like high sidewall when aspect ration is the correct term.

In any case I think F1 uses a 45 aspect ratio rear tyre on 13” rims which isn’t a high sidewall tyre as most people’ would view it.

F1 and I’d guess even V8 supercars can’t run really low aspect ratios tyres as they repeatedly thump the curbs cutting corners so some sidewall compliance is required.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
NASCAR and V8 Supercars are all limited by regulations, not by the positives or negatives of the wheels or tyres!

This isn’t an argument in any direction; just that the only thing you can infer from those rules is that some rule-maker thought they were a good idea.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, all racing is constrained by regs. In the case of v8 supercars, I’d guess it’s to keep costs down while staying on the podium to support the manufacturers view of race on Sunday sell on Monday’s. In fact this is problably a common desire in most motor sports. Yet we know that even in this constrained v8 supercars class, what they race is nothing like what they sell - a real contradiction if there ever was one.

Even F1 which once had many more freedoms, is also heavily constrained by regs (common tyre compounds from one manufacturer, requirements to use different compounds during the race itself to force pit stops, no active aero, no berillium aluminium alloys, etc, etc).

So I agree that all one should infer from rules is that there are rule makers. This doesn’t change physics though...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
F1 use the sidewall for part of there suspension as they were to go to 18" in the future and they would have been sooner but it would have taken too long to re engineer the suspension so they are keeping the smaller rims for a few more years

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You don't see too many very fast high end or hyper cars with high side wall tyres these days nor do you see them on V8 Supercars.

Hummmm...A V8 supercar tyre has a bigger sidewall than a standard 15" commodore wheel.....If I remember tomorrow, I'll post up the exact size of a V8 supercar tyre