Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Larger wheels to Lift or raise vx ground clearance

sbarclay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX LS1 wagon
Hi,
I am looking for some advice to lift a vx Commodore wagon for ground clearance. What's the largest diameter wheel that can fit under the guards without scrubbing? It was suggested
I will try to put on amarok (5x120) wheels and check the offset but I would think theses are too big. I understand the Qld dept of trans only allow +15mm from original, but this won't be on the road. I have raised springs etc, but was looking for larger wheel advice.
Has anyone used adventura struts and raised springs in a 2WD?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you're looking to use total wheel diameter to get clearance you'd be much better off using a 15"/16"/17" (probably 15 or 16 would be better) wheel and getting a higher profile tyre like people do when they raise their 4WDs instead of trying to fit a big diameter wheel on. To answer your question though I think people start having trouble with the spring seat at about 19 or 20 depending on the width/offset/tyre size.

Get out your ruler and measure it up - www.willtheyfit.com

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Want to raise the car, the only real way to do it is via changing springs...Changing wheels won't really effect it, as you have to keep the same rolling diametre....ie, the overall height of the rim/tyre combination must be the same height...I believe you can increase the overall rolling diametre by 15MM over factory height, but don't hold me to that as QLD rules in this particular area may differ to other states

sbarclay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX LS1 wagon
If you're looking to use total wheel diameter to get clearance you'd be much better off using a 15"/16"/17" (probably 15 or 16 would be better) wheel and getting a higher profile tyre like people do when they raise their 4WDs instead of trying to fit a big diameter wheel on. To answer your question though I think people start having trouble with the spring seat at about 19 or 20 depending on the width/offset/tyre size.

Get out your ruler and measure it up - www.willtheyfit.com
Thanks RJK, spring seat on the strut will be an issue yes. It would be awesome if someone could tell me if an adventura strut setup will bolt onto a vx. The part numbers are incompatible... but they look identical...

sbarclay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX LS1 wagon
Want to raise the car, the only real way to do it is via changing springs...Changing wheels won't really effect it, as you have to keep the same rolling diametre....ie, the overall height of the rim/tyre combination must be the same height...I believe you can increase the overall rolling diametre by 15MM over factory height, but don't hold me to that as QLD rules in this particular area may differ to other states
You are correct for Qld here VC but won't apply as I'll be changing the wheels back to original when I get back on the road.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Raised springs will only give you 30mm more to standard height, if you want to go 4w driving then higher a 4wd, your not going to get it high unless you spend big by getting it custom built.
upload_2019-12-7_2-10-30.jpeg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My X6 Crewman, standard suspension and wheels/tyre (225/55x17), measures 380mm to the bottom of the doors, (not the sill), if you want to compare to your current height.
I don’t go rock-hopping or beach driving with the X6. The worst road I have driven it on was Tibooburra to the Queensland border, which had been badly cut-up during rain, and then hardened. I didn’t bottom it out anywhere, but it was a slow, careful trip.
There is still a quite a bit of room to the spring seat to fit larger tyres, but I was advised not to fit larger tyres due to possible fouling at other places while applying steering lock and suspension movement while driving. I wasn’t prepared to find out the hard way if that was true. So, there could be tyre limitations there. I think if you are after more sidewall you are going to have to reduce rim diameter.