Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Last Chance VE to VZ

FScott

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz com
Just signed up guys hoping someone may be able to help in any way... Will a 3.6 L Alloytec from a VE work in a VZ..not changing the computers only the motor.. Different mounts and sump I beleive..will that stop it from being possible? Does anyone know if it will work and why if it doesnt?
Ide appreciate any advice on this its been an ongoing problem for way too long and this seems to be the only solution.. Thanks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As long as you swap the sumps.
Make sure you use LE0 with LE0 or LY7 with LY7.
The two models were produced alongside each other for a year or two.
Eg my 07 VZ and 07 VE Calais share a lot of sensors and parts. One is LY7 one LE0. Dimensions are the same, it’s only the stuff/features bolted to it that make the differences.

Keep all your old sensors as spares.

Do be aware if your VZ is pre OBD2 (such as 04 and early 05) there might be problems with timing as the cam reluctors and sensors that were a bit different.

FScott

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz com

As long as you swap the sumps.
Make sure you use LE0 with LE0 or LY7 with LY7.
The two models were produced alongside each other for a year or two.
Eg my 07 VZ and 07 VE Calais share a lot of sensors and parts. One is LY7 one LE0. Dimensions are the same, it’s only the stuff/features bolted to it that make the differences.

Keep all your old sensors as spares.

Do be aware if your VZ is pre OBD2 (such as 04 and early 05) there might be problems with timing as the cam reluctors and sensors that were a bit different.
Hi thanks for that mate i need to check to see that they are both leos or LY7... My vz is 2006 with obd2 as far as i know the replacement motor is out of a 2007 ve.. Yr right other than the sump they look identical... I really hope ive got it right otherwise its money down the drain.. Thanks heaps for the advice mate i pray this works if it does I'll have the complete computer system from the VE including accelerater and ignition barrel with key.... R they worth any thing to anyone or are they destined for the trash...?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
LY7 is the high feature Alloytec. Can’t be swapped with LE0.
LY7 has 4cam solenoids and 4 cam sensors on the front of the motor. It also will have a motor on the back of the intake manifold that varies airflow via the ECM.
LE0 has no motor on the back of the intake plenum. They have 2 cam sensors and 2 cam solenoids on the front of the motor.
The build plate on your car will be marked with either Engine: LY7 or Engine: LE0.

FScott

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz com
LY7 is the high feature Alloytec. Can’t be swapped with LE0.
LY7 has 4cam solenoids and 4 cam sensors on the front of the motor. It also will have a motor on the back of the intake manifold that varies airflow via the ECM.
LE0 has no motor on the back of the intake plenum. They have 2 cam sensors and 2 cam solenoids on the front of the motor.
The build plate on your car will be marked with either Engine: LY7 or Engine: LE0.
Thanks for the extra info..the only small detail is that i dont have the vin plate details for the VE motor and altho im pretty sure its the same as mine with the same sensors on the front of the motor i dont know how i can be sure its.. Are there numbers on the engine its self that will tell me what it is... If there are where are they on the motor?... Cheers

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just look at the sensors and cam solenoids.

Look for the motor mounted in the back of the intake plenum.

Your VZ will have a build plate top of the radiator support panel, left of the passenger side headlight. On it will be what motor your VZ has. LE0 or LY7.

Can you post a photo of the motor you have and post it? Particularly the front of it.

FScott

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz com
Just look at the sensors and cam solenoids.

Look for the motor mounted in the back of the intake plenum.

Your VZ will have a build plate top of the radiator support panel, left of the passenger side headlight. On it will be what motor your VZ has. LE0 or LY7.

Can you post a photo of the motor you have and post it? Particularly the front of it.
Hi mate yep the details for the vz i have and the VE motor. Is at the mechanics along with the car this is the only pic i have of it with me othwrwise ill have to organise another one.. I hope this helps..
Screenshot_20210623-094815_Facebook.jpg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
From that picture, it does look like an LE0 motor.
The LY7 was fitted to VZ Berlina, Calais, SV6.
If yours is just an Exec then it will have an LE0 fitted.

FScott

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz com
From that picture, it does look like an LE0 motor.
The LY7 was fitted to VZ Berlina, Calais, SV6.
If yours is just an Exec then it will have an LE0 fitted.
They look the same.. The mechabic has told me the VE motor has the small motor at the back of the engine for the intake.. But he said it wont mattet coz hes going to use the vz manifold... They both have the same sensors.. Otherwise the sump is the only other difference.. Does it sound like it will work to you? ... I have to say im a little worried it won't but in theory it should