Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Last day to order a commodore

yescooling

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dream a commodore redline
Hi gents and ladies

I need your help with this silly but important question: when to order the commodore 2017. My situation is right now I'm still having a 5 years car loan which will be finished around Feb 2018( I bought it through finance in 2013 Feb). I thought about trading it in with dealer then ordering my commodore. I'm not sure how complicated the process can be. My current budget doesn't allow me to pay off it right now. I am waiting for the tax return :(. Would it be too late then?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi gents and ladies

I need your help with this silly but important question: when to order the commodore 2017. My situation is right now I'm still having a 5 years car loan which will be finished around Feb 2018( I bought it through finance in 2013 Feb). I thought about trading it in with dealer then ordering my commodore. I'm not sure how complicated the process can be. My current budget doesn't allow me to pay off it right now. I am waiting for the tax return :(. Would it be too late then?
Depends on dealer stocks, they were allocated there 2017 cars late last year. Ring around as time is almost out.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Pretty sure there will be stock around up until at least November...
Remember...the manufacture continues up until 20 Oct

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Trading in a car with finance owing is as easy as pie.
I've actually never paid off any of my cars as the value of the car usually is greater than the finance owing on a vehicle the closer you get to the end of your finance period (not always if you have a big balloon payment at the end).
The dealer and you will agree to a value of your car and the 'change over price' to get you into the vehicle they are selling. The dealer pays out your existing finance contract and you sign over the sale of that car while also signing the contract of the new car you are getting.
If you have a finance balance owing on a vehicle that is greater than the value of the car you are wanting to trade in (like the balloon I mentioned or you've really run down the car) - this is known as 'negative equity' and it can be carried onto the value of the new car you are buying. Be careful as sometimes there is a higher rate of finance attached to negative equity deals, or you must purchase gap insurance or both (sometimes no one will finance if the amount far exceeds the vehicle value ~130%). Try to AVOID negative equity as much as possible - it's not where you want to be unless you absolutely need the vehicle for practical reasons (i.e. growing family).

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Depends on dealer stocks, they were allocated there 2017 cars late last year. Ring around as time is almost out.
I think if you talk to a dealer it'll be all doom and gloom and you must buy now as they'll be all gone soon - normal dealer speak, they want to sell you a car now. OK sure the numbers are limited and end of production is 4.5 months away, but I think there will be cars available just depends on how fussy you are about what get. If you want to order something specific I'd say yep you probably would need to do that very soon, even if the delivery is slated for August/ September/ October so you have your tax sorted by then. If on the other hand you're more flexible in what you are buying I think there'll still be opportunity. Looking on Carsales you still see plenty of unsold 2016 cars, I suspect even after production end there will still be unsold cars for sometime. I assume from your ride you are looking to buy a Redline.

Edit, I took another look at Carsales and 2016 Redlines specifically looking at NSW, with the search at 10,000 Km I think there is 34 cars of which only 5 are under 100 Kms, a few with 1,000 Kms then 2,000 Kms, 3,000 Kms etc. So they are moving them, seemed to be quite a few a while back. I still think you'll be able to buy at least to end of year, but choice will be more limited as time goes on.

Edit again, with the search in Carsales at VFII Redlines (2016) less than 10,000Km Victoria shows 99 cars (38 in NSW) - still only a few with less than 100Km though.

Last edited:

yescooling

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dream a commodore redline
Really appreciate everyone's input and help. I don't have balloon payment, so I guess it may help my situation here since the value of my car is greater than the loan. I am in Brisbane, and will start hunting a good deal around Auguest after I sort out the tax. I'm looking for a son of a gun redline manual.I guess it's not easy to find it randomly.

I'm ready to give up my 8 years laziness for the last commodore, manual should be more fun, but I will decide it after I have tested both. Better start getting practice now lol, nearly forget how to shift.

Thanks everyone again:)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Really appreciate everyone's input and help. I don't have balloon payment, so I guess it may help my situation here since the value of my car is greater than the loan. I am in Brisbane, and will start hunting a good deal around Auguest after I sort out the tax. I'm looking for a son of a gun redline manual.I guess it's not easy to find it randomly.

I'm ready to give up my 8 years laziness for the last commodore, manual should be more fun, but I will decide it after I have tested both. Better start getting practice now lol, nearly forget how to shift.

Thanks everyone again:)

If you want a redline manual ring dealers now as I'd doubt there would be many left.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Got to agree with BlackVE76, if you want to be specific with manual and SOAG Redline and you don't want to miss the boat, I think you should have dialogue with dealers soon, just make it clear you aren't in a position to buy until August at the earliest. Who knows if you're lucky you might be able to secure a September or October build car.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I have put down the money for a new car before the VS Commodore model had come out, but I was paying cash for it all. the deal was that what ever the new model price rise was I would pay that extra.
You could put money down for a deal for a new car to be done at a date set. the dealer can only say yes or no, but it's worth a try if you want a VF.