Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Late model interceptors on Early Commodores

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Hi there,

Fresh on the forums, been out of the car scene for a while. This might seem like a ridiculous question.

So im looking at purchasing a set of stock interceptor wheels with tyres, ive noticed a lot of VT-VZ wheels, will I have any offset issues fitting later model wheels of this era to a VB commodore?

or are all interceptors interchangeable? I think we used VR wheels back in the day.

Cheers
Anthony

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
If the wheels are 15'' then you should be fine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
"interceptors" as such are 15X7 and bolt straight on.....

Honestly, the only way to tell if they are genuine police wheels, is to unbolt them from the police car....However, considering this era police car is no longer used by the police, it makes it impossible to verify they came from a police car.

I happen to have 3 sets of 15 X7 steel wheels...1 set came off a police car, that was involved in an accident...The wheels were gutter scrapped, hence the police force wanting new wheels....1 set came off a VZ which the owner wanted factory alloys instead and the 3rd set came off an Adventura, so the tyre size is a little larger than the standard commodore sie....ie 215/65X15, instead of 205/65X15.

So it always makes me laugh when people want interceptors and pay more for the misconception of it all

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Yea, legit police gear seems to be pretty popular these days, your right, theres a flurry of misconception among ex cop cars, I looked at Purchasing a VH BT1 a few months back, after hours scouring the net, I found (common knowledge to most but me) that not all BT1's are interceptors. From my understanding the only cars that may be classed as interceptors where the HWY pursuit vehicles which, distinguished by the the ID tag - Rearaxle - G70 2.60 or GU7 2.78 . They had a much higher top speed, but maybe not even that is proof enough. All the other vehicles are just street cars. Does this sound right or have I been misled.

ill rephrase, so then any 15inch steel wheels should be fine on an early model commodore?

Cheers for the responses, I can buy with ease now.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
yes; with the correct stud pattern and width.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The original "interceptor" wheel for a commodore came out with the VB Commodore.....It was a 15X6 steel wheel, which was silver in colour. Not sure when they changed over to a wider wheel....The later era commodores came out standard with 15X6 steel wheels, which were black or brown in colour.... So what was happening was, the general public would get a later model commodore steel wheel, paint it silver and pass it off as a chaser wheel for the earlier commodores...They were actually nicknamed chaser wheels by the general public....Just over the years, they seem to have changed to interceptor wheels.

Yes, a bit of useless information, but might be handy in later years for someone.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
.They were actually nicknamed chaser wheels by the general public....Just over the years, they seem to have changed to interceptor wheels. .

Thanks to 'Mad Max' and his Falcon.

More useless info …. my CrewmanX6 has 16 x 6" or 7" spare, and the offset is supposedly different to other (Commodore) steel wheels. Dunno, never measured or used it.

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I believe some even had 15x7 heavy duty with extra welding on the barrel to face. I had a set.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why would you want Chasers?? IMHO there are far better looking wheels like the SS five spoke. Not having a dig BTW, I just don't think they are attractive. Maybe if you were trying to build an old school police replica... But that is simply my opinion.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I did it on my VR because the lip was a bit bigger then a normal steelie so looked a little better. Main reason though was because I was a tight arse and 15 inch tyres are dirt cheap.