Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Late model SV6 Tuning

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by KARTAL, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Just an update. Had a tune edit and speedo recal done by Dale at CHE a week or so ago and the car is sweet as. My wife had her 1st drive in traffic/carparks etc since reflash and as soon as she walked in she said "Jeez that's a bit twitchy" and it is. Much more fun to drive. The bolt-ons and a tune are the go especialy combined with the 3.7 :) I've noticed the change so much 'cos unfortunately my local dealership did a software update (even though I asked them not to) on it soon after the original tune went in so the tune went back to stock. I wasn't sure at the time because had only driven it twice post tune before it was in at Holden. It's a different car now though and worth the 4k I reckon.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. Papahutch

Papahutch New Member

Members Ride:
    VF 2 SSVR My16 Black Sedan
    Any difference to the my10 3.6SIDI to the series 2 My11 3.6SIDI in terms of getting a tune?I have been told the exhuast is different in the series II compaired to the my10 3.6 sidi but I think that person may be pulling my leg???

I just installed a growler kit in my sv6 series 2 manual and I do like the note it produces from around 5000 - 6700rpm. Would not say the power increase is massive but its is noticeable. Can notice a increase down low. Was not that hard to install, the battery terminal was the tricky part. Going from a my10 auto 3.6SIDI to a series 2 manual 3.6SIDI, It does feel like the manual goes better, very short 1st and 2nd gear in manual compaired to auto. 57-60km/h 1st at limiter in manual compaired to around 70 km/h in auto and 98-100 km/h in manual on limit compaired to around 110ish in auto. also at 110 km/h the manual sits at around 2200rpm and the auto sat on 2000rpm but I do get better eco in manual...have not noticed a diff in eco with the growler kit on...have had it in on for a week now and no real diff, maybe 0.3 - 0.6 L but it does come down to driving

I will eventually get some headers put on but im hoping the LF3 twin turbo will be on the market for the 2013 VF commodore update.

3. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Don't think the engine is any different so would imagine SII will tune up the same. Not sure about exhaust but won't make any difference from a header perspective I don't think.
    Yeah twin scroll in the VF but based on the 3ltr I think. What looks good is the 5.5ltr DI 8. Will be just about car update time in 2013 I reckon.

4. SV666

SV666 The Commodore Enthusiast

Members Ride:
    VS EXEC SII
    With the vf on its way, I saw the mag it was in I only quickly skimmed through it as i was in a rush and the mag caught my eye... With the tb 6 its only going to make around 220kw and about 400nm. I'm guessing holden is sticking to the fuel economy strategy rather than making a rival to the fg 6t. Cant remember the displacement of the engine but if its 220kw for a 3ltr that's not too bad there is it?

5. RUF-60L

RUF-60L Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2008 VE SS
    yes but even if its only 220kw, there is room to move for extra performance if u really want it, with more boost etc

6. SV666

SV666 The Commodore Enthusiast

Members Ride:
    VS EXEC SII
    That's fair enough, (speaking with little knowledge of turbos) I figure it would of been logic in a way to use the current 3.6 sidi as the engine of choice rather than a 3ltr with already 210kw (at fly) and 350nm slapping the the twin would make it a beast. Just my 0.02c..

7. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Well with the DI V8 at 315/600 and the small TTV6 at 200/400 would there be room for something inbetween? Like a 250/450 twin scoll or super 3.6?

8. TinSnips

TinSnips Polish all the things...

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    That middle car would have to be something competitive with an XR6T, with whatever numbers the 2013 version is pumping out - assuming it's not a taurus by then - for any decent amount of people to be interested in it.

9. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Just reading up on how the yanks are going on the 2011 V6 Camaro tune. The 311HP (230KW) version is currently tuning from around 247RWHP(184RWKW) stock (no boltons) to 260RWHP(190RWKW) with no boltons. Sounds like a pretty happy dyno but not bad results. However two seperate dyno references on this website support. View topic - Improved V6 tune from Trifecta (+13HP on stock car) :: Bowtie V6 - 5th Gen Camaro V6 Tech Forum, 2010 Camaro V6, 2011 Camaro V6, Camaro 3.6l, Camaro llt Apparently the fellas who have done the Trifecta tune have also found some gains with the cam phasing now and have managed to squeeze some more out of it. What does that mean for us? Can only be good things.....watch this space:)

:driving:

10. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    For those chasing info (and others interested) on tuning the LLT I thought I'd post some dyno results that I got today. Dyno was performed on a Dyno Dynamics roller at Jakes Performance in Mitchell (ACT) and was done in Shootout mode. Car has ORSSOM OTR, Pacemaker headers, MACE E85 tune and some minor exhaust changes (2.5k spent) + 3.7lsd (2k). Car had 3 runs all around the same output of 190.4RWKW at 6200rpm and 4200N of tractive effort at 2600 rpm and then again at 5100rpm...tractive effort never fell below 3800N though. I'll post sheets as soon as I can. Have sent data to Steve as there maybe a change or two to be made :). Got to say I'm quite happy with this result as it confirms both how it feels to drive but also the data I'm getting from DASHXL. Jake said that a stock VE 6ltr usually runs up 200-230RWKW and a LS1 180-190RWKW on his dyno.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  11. billy bob

billy bob Member

Members Ride:
    VE S2 SV6
    What do you mean by "some minor exhaust changes"?

12. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    I swapped my stock SV6 cat back for an SS cat back system then had the crimps removed and replaced with an x-pipe. I also bought a set of Berklee V8 rears cans for it. However if I was to do it again I'd keep the stock SV6 cat back system, I'd still use the Berklee cans but I'd have a set of hotdogs put in (same as V8 system) after the mid-muffler (lowers the tone). I'd also still consider the crimp removal and x-pipe insertion (depending on reverb etc).

13. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Nice figures so far Jarp

14. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Yeah is pretty good VS Pete. Although as you can see from the dyno sheet the torque curve is very up and down up until about 4600rpm...at this point it sharply climbs to around 5000rpm at which point it falls away sharply. Jake doing the dyno said at the time that it felt really crap (jerky) up to 4600 then smoothed out. We believe that this is particular to the auto and is part of the Torque Control systems of the car. This sheet + data I collected at the time are now with the tuner and I'm hoping that we can improve top end torque and of course peak KW. Oh by the way the car doesn't feel like it is jerky on the road....just seems to be particular to being on a dyno although if we can further remove torque contol mechanisms then all the better.

Attached Files:

15. bigjim92

bigjim92 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VF SSVR
    That torque curve is spastic! LOL
    Have you thought about turning off the Torque Management all together? As I'm thinking of doing that with mine.

16. samueljz94

samueljz94 New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 Holden Commodore SV6 SIDI 3.6L
    wow what are you's doing that is pretty shitty performance were are use taking ur cars ?
    i have a 2010 ve sv6 sidi with full exhaust system dyno tune cam upgrade orrsom otr and afew other bits and pieces and it pulled 196.5rwkw