Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Late model SV6 Tuning

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by KARTAL, Dec 8, 2010.

1. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    they would be tri y, can't see pacemaker altering the previous design too much + I'd assume they'd bolt up to the existing cats (they are pretty far up) so tri-y's, make better business sense for pacemaker to tri-ys too. The ones I have are tri-y

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    Not too much in it too fit yourself, save yourself $100+. Biggest pain was getting the existing manifolds out and the alternator got in the way. Cost $650 coated.

3. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    2003 SS Commodore Series II
    They look like tuned length 3 -1 from that angle.

And yeah, extractors are very easy to fit yourself, one bonus with pacemaker is if you get the whole system it all bolts together and fits perfectly. (did for my ss anyway, can't see the SV6 being a great deal different)

4. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    mmm they make much difference to sound Kuzman?

5. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    Yeah, much better exhaust tone, doesn't sound as thrashy in the engine bay, purrs abit more. I cut out the hotdogs/crimp in my exhaust at the same time so not sure if that contributed to it or not. I'm happy with it. If you ever plan on supercharger or NOS etc, sort of a requirment to IMO to get headers and cats done.

6. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    The extractors improve the flow out of the heads by a country mile. I don't care what motor your talking about, Factory manifolds are ****!

7. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    agreed dude

8. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
    i don't see how you could make a tri-y for a v6? straight 6 yeah but not a v6 and get balance?

9. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
    Jarp as for the power output for your SIDI i'll guess about 165-175rwkws on Dale's dyno once all work complete. i know this isn't the figure you want but just go to any melbourne or qld workshop if you want to see good numbers. i've seen LS1 make similar numbers stock on Dales dyno, just they usually make around 220-230 once they've had the fruit added.

as for a V6 vs V8 debate i went from a VE SV6 to my current cars. servicing is about the same maybe a little bit cheaper actually for the V8 as i find spark plugs are alot cheaper for a V8 to the alloytec. i do all the servicing myself even on my SV6 never had a problem with warranty i just filled the log book out myself even when i traded it the guy was happy to accept it as having full service history. rego at least in NSW is exactly the same, insurance is about the same for the VY V8 as it was for the sv6 for the senator is huge but thats cause it's a different league of car. only one insurance company would insure under 25 with a hsv and it was justcar.

also with servicing i'll say this, from a bloke that does it all himself working on the LSX series motors is a hell of alot easier. not fun doing plugs or coolant on the alloytec. to drain the coolant the thermostat housing in around the back of the motor under the intake manifold. worse design ever might be ok in american east west cars but not in a commodore.

tyre wear and fuel is more how you drive it. generally the V6 was better on fuel but that said if you carry some load the V8 is better as it just doesn't notice the extra weight as much. tyre wear i haven't really seen a difference we drive like ########s whether it's a v6 or v8. but it's easier to have bad tyre wear in a v8 thats for sure.

Flame suit on.

10. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    ahh oops so they are 3-1's

11. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    And not going to bother arguing V8 vs V6 anymore. Quotes I've gotten for a SS VE is $500 more a year then the VE SV6. Anyway thanks for the info monaro.

12. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

At the end of the day everyone's requirements are different. To say that a single engine, model or make is idea for everyone's needs is crazy stuff.

The alloytecs are excellent engines, with thinks like forged crank and rods standard baffled sump, oil jets for the pistons etc. Very few engines have these as standard features, so they certainly do have the genetics to tuned into a killer package despite lacking cubic inches.

However there unfortunately hasn't been much aftermarket development of these engines relative to others, primarily because of the lack of tuning available for these engines. I mean who's going 3k just to replace a computer before any other work has even taken place on these engines? Not many...

Hence the reason why we've pushed to develop the software side of things on these engines :) From 08 to current commodores and earlier ones shortly after.

The tunes/programmers that we'll be offering won't be just a straight flash of a generic tune, as the programmer will also double as a data logger. Once the logs are emailed back to us we can email a revised tune to suit your car.

More info will come shortly, but I hope this clears up a few things

Cheers,
    Steve

13. cashie

cashie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V
    Please let me know when you are able to offer tuning for 2007 SV6's Steve.

14. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    Tri-y is just a way to explain a design. You can't really have tri-y's on a V8 either, but people still refer to them a such.

Kuzman, I quoted my insurance premium for a 2003 model VY. It would be interesting to see what it costs you for the same thing. I can understand a VE costing more. They're more expensive to repair its as simple as that.

Mace - Sounds like the perfect motor to have some boost forced down their throat!

15. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Booooo with those numbers....but I guess if the dyno is not a happy one then so it shall be. As long as it drives better then I'll be happy...although 180ish would of been worth a gloating post.

Edit: Although 175 I'd be happy with...what about the twist Monaro327?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  16. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    Yeah best bet is don't aim for a number, just be happy with how it feels.
    If you're concerned with numbers you haven't got enough cylinders to start with :D

17. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    chortle, chortle

18. KARTAL

KARTAL New Member

Members Ride:
    08 Commodore VE SV6
    mace keep us updated when we can drive in drive out tuned with before and after dyno sheets to prove your work... and just out of curiosity, if its an engine suitable for boost down its throat, how much power can the internals of an sv6 handle... im sure a nice twin turbo setup would look pretty shmick :p

19. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Will do :) Easiest way to be kept in the loop with such developments would be to keep an eye on our section of the forum or our facebook page Mace Engineering Group | Facebook

If you want a drive in drive out service with before and after dyno results best to contact Custom Tuning Services in Cheltenham. As for whether or not the tunes work, I'm happy to offer people a refund and re flash back to factory if the gains aren't there. Going by kuzman89's experience with the product I dare that won't be happening all that often :)

As for power output which the internals can handle I dare say it would be a significant amount over the 300rwkw mark. I do know of a twin turbo alloyec making around 800hp @ 32psi at the wheels and the owner has done a couple of mods to it but nothing overly significant :) I dare say more about this build will be revealed sometime next year

Cheers
    Steve

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  20. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    Is that build being done by the editor of SC magazine?