Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Late model SV6 Tuning

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by KARTAL, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    OK...back from a trip to see Dale @ CHE today. Thanks to the fellas there who did a nice neat job on the extractors. Unfortunately I can't really provide you all with much data as we had some issues with the Auto SIDI. Only data I have was done in second gear as the Auto SIDI won't hold gear in 3rd or 4th (even in manual mode) as it auto shifts up a gear at about 6000RPM. This made getting data a tad tricky so runs were done in 2nd which left the peak RWKW down on paper at only 136.1RWKW with CAI and Extractors and then 160.9RWKW after tune uploaded. This was a peak RWKW gain 24.6 but in some parts of the rev range as much as 30RWKW gains can be seen on the graph although around 25 seems to be consistent across the whole rev range. Dale reckons if he could of run it in 4th properly it probably would of seen 185ish as he did manage to get one 4th gear run, prior to the tune upload, that shifted just under 6000rpm that read 170RWKW so if you then add a gain of 24RWKW post tune then 185RWKW is easily on the cards. Gotta say it is running extremely well and will do some more driving in it tomorrow but am a tad dissappointed about not being able to get clean runs with clear data. On a side note it did 8.4L/100km @ 110km/h average on the way home. Oh and an N/A XR6 ute pulled 164RWKW just before me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
    what fear is 1:1 on the new 6 speeds do they have 2 overdrives or 1? also why does it shift at 6000 rpm aren't they meant to have a 6500rpm?

3. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
  4. Dale@CHE

Dale@CHE New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS, VT SS
    i think ill have to get the auto software done :( #### knows why they wont hold gears in the sports mode.. 1 pull it would change up gears at 5000rpm next pull 6000rpm..

ill get onto that in the next month or so..

5. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:

All cars with abs bring up abs errors on the dash when on the dyno mate. it's cause the front wheels aren't turning when Dale hits the brakes at the end of a run the abs module thinks the front brakes have locked up cause there no wheel movement? don't know if thats right but thats what i always assumed.my VE did it my VY does and i'll bet the VZ will as well.

6. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    have all the other SIDI been manuals, you've tuned a few 3litres they didn't do the same thing?

Reason i ask is cause could it be his 3.7 diff causing the issues?

7. SV666

SV666 The Commodore Enthusiast

Members Ride:
    VS EXEC SII
    Just on that, was that a BA BF or FG? But I would be happy with the first outcome regardless, I have been following this thread for awhile now and to see some promising gains I would love to go this way somewhere down the track. What will intrest me is when a otr is available for the sidi.. If 185rwkw is being achieved with a cai we should see high 190rwkw maybe?

8. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Not sure what model...looked reasonably late though. 185RWKW was with CAI and headers (sounds sweet YouTube - SIDI after extractors and tune ) but I still think it might of run higher with just those changes (eternal optimist). Anyway will do some driving in it today and see how it goes. All the boys in blue are at the nats so they'll be busy over there :). Should of seen them yesterday coming back from Sydney. There were 4 cops cars operating on a 30km stretch of road..pulling over every P plater they could find was funny as. Took a photo of the standard engine pipes as per below....sheesh restrictive looking or what.

Attached Files:

9. bigdaddycool

bigdaddycool Member

Members Ride:
    2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
    Bit of a late reply but yes VCM have seriously let the alloytech slip away..... EFI live are working on SIDI stuff.....

"apparently" VCM will be focusing on the Bosch ECU's after their dodge stuff is done ....... but who knows how long that'll take. All I know about SIDI is looking at the various G6's and stuff from America if the SIDI tune looks like that....... dont think i'll be tuning it myself, the new computer in the sidi's look like the v8's really..... complicated.

We needs us a Dale up here in Brisbane for alloytech tuning :D

10. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    mate the stock air box to CAI on a 6litre VE SS is only worth about 8rwkws why would that same airbox be restricting a 3.6l V6 more. i know there was some muppet on here claiming he gained 16rwkws or some rubbish from a growler on his SIDI. but if you apply logic it doesn't make sense. on my old sv6 the airhammer was the best intake i tested. and i gained 4.8rwkws on Dale's dyno over stock airbox with k&n panel filter. so probably about 5.8rwkws over a completely stock airbox. you are looking at about the same gain on an SIDI.

11. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    I may well have been that muppet :). Wasn't a claim as such just a reference Car Of The Month - Townsville Dyno and Tuning, Aitkenvale Auto and Dyno : turbo charging, super charging, engine tuning (Feb Car of the month). I wouldn't say that 16RWKW was a good call but the SIDI engines seem to react better to bolt on changes than the previous alloytec did. This doesn't mean a OTR would be even better than a pod though.

12. Dale@CHE

Dale@CHE New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS, VT SS
    VCM and EFI will only ever cover the 3L, neither will do the 3.6L ever..

monaro all other SIDI have been manual..

the XR6 was a FG, stock manifold and cat with just a cat back..

13. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    i can post videos from youtube of cars gaining 15rwkws from 20% underdriven pulleys. the odd thing is this sort of thing only seems to happen at one workshop. and gains every where else in the world are more like 3-4rwkws.

14. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    Jarp can you post your dyno graph i'm sure people would like to see the gains across the rev range. if it's anything like the old alloytec the gains in the lower rev range were usually very good.

15. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Will try and get some electronic versions from Dale so I can post up otherwise will have to wait until I can scan.

16. tommySV6Ute

tommySV6Ute Guest

A previous car of mine had a stainless exhaust installed by D&T in Adelaide, the workshop fudged the dyno figures by one of their employee's opening the airbox up on the final run, it raised the final result. Not saying this is the case for what had occurred in your situation though..

Nice ongoing work with your ride there Jarp, leading the way for the rest of us :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  17. Dale@CHE

Dale@CHE New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS, VT SS
    i can post the graph for you tomorrow,
    from memory was about 25-30rwkw gain in the bottom..

18. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    Just take a photo of the dyno sheet and post it up. I and a lot of other people are quite interested in the results.

19. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Thanks Tommy...gotta say it's a much finer drive now.

Thanks Dale much appreciated.

Arronm ya just gonna have to wait. But as I said earlier data not really complete unfortunately so not sure if will satisfy all.

20. Michelson4301

Michelson4301 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
    Is there a reason why VCM/EFI live won't do the 3.6ltr i'm assuming SIDI ?