Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LCD Bleeding

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
full cluster is not interchangeable but....... the lcd trip computer module itself is compatible between VN/VP to VR/VS (same plug and configuration), only real issue is using one of the first VN ones without the buzzer/chime.... does not like having one plugged into it, tends to make funny noises for no apparent reason (but hey who want's their damn car beeping at them when lights on the dash do the same thing).
currently using an early VN trip computer with VR pcm and it was easy enough to calibrate and read correctly, so doesn't seem to be any major differences in the code from the ecu/pcm to the trip computer.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
I have a VN LCD set up. They looked identical. But there not. Low fuel is now handbrake. Cruise control will not engage. I thought they were the same. But the VN one will not work in my VS using a patch loom. A VS one worked fine, the VN does not.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Vn-vq are separate from vr-vs if you cross match them say hello to smoke and goodbye to cluster

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Vn-vq are separate from vr-vs if you cross match them say hello to smoke and goodbye to cluster

yes the full cluster is not compatible, as i said earlier

the trip computer (inside the cluster, houses 3 lcd screens, aluminium housing, shitty white/beige plastic front) is compatible between all the models (except the earliest vn version that didn't have a chime and hates having 1 pluged into it) if you change it between suitable clusters, the trip computer has the same pinout between them all and is not wired into the cluster itself, i have run 88 vn, 92 vp and VS (can't tell you the date as i'm not pulling the dash apart to find the vdo sticker) in the same car and once speed and fuel consumption is calibrated they are accurate, without any wiring modification to the trip comps plug.

I posted rips of the microcontroller program from early vn, vp/vq and vr/vs clusters on another forum (i'm yet to find someone to rip the code apart and find out the exact differences, i suck with programming and coding, quite happy to hand the code over to anyone that can understand 8051 asm as there are some changes i'd love to incorporate into the lcd readouts eg. bugger off the speed alert and change it to digital speedo, possibly add tacho readout aswell as there is an input into the trip computer for engine rpm, change the fuel value to suit custom tanks like lpg instead of either 65/80L.... widen the cal range so it can be set to accurately display lpg L/100 etc etc....) ford at the same time had digital speedo, tacho and i'm sure the trip computer is capable of utilising these functions.

as the LCD's are getting hard to replace i'm currently looking to replace them with 8 segment LED displays, limited time for hobbies has proven to make this a slow process...........

Last edited:

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Yea thats what i was trying to say. I have a VS cluster and all, but the lcd cluster itself is from a VN, which is causing the dramas. I just find it odd that a VS one works, but this one does not. They look simular, but in my case are not i guess.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
if the trip comp is separate now (this is a pain) you can plug it into the trip comp plug with the fuse panel cover open, if you lightly press on the most righthand screen with it plugged in(ign on or off doesn't matter as this screen always displays something) does it display anything? this can help rule out a fragged trip comp or if it's just broken plastic mounts not letting the lcd panel contact the board as the screw mounts are very fragile now and can break as previously mentioned.

Last edited: