Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LCD Screen Positions

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
88GreenVN said this 10 years ago "You can swap the Series 1 LCD screens (thin numbers) over with fat numbers (Series 2) - but they must go in the same spot - as in the middle LCD must remain in the middle - as with the left and right LCD screens. "

Is this correct? Is there any way to identify which position an LCD screen is built for?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
OK . Just pulled apart a fresh working V6 cluster. Looking from the back the right hand LCD has a brown contact strip, the centre and left LCD's are blue. Still marked them with a texta though before I repair the PCD mounting screws and transfer the lot to my V8 trip computer.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Anyone attempting to replace the LCD's should know the real problem after 27 or so years of operation is finding a LCD (white) mounting box that won't crack in the plastic columns between the screens when the PCB screws are tightened up. These screws must be tight for the terminal strips from the PCB to contact the conductive strip on the edge of the screens. This plastic cracking was not a problem when I last did this to replace bleeding screens 10 years or so ago.
I finally got a good mounting box from a V8 cluster. Note that despite the V6 LCD's having brown and blue edge strips, the V8 donor cluster had all blue edge strips and they worked as specified.
Even though I had a working V8 donor cluster I swapped the white LCD box and displays over to my old trip computer to keep the recorded mileage intact.
Hopefully this is the last time I have to do this as I have also replaced the LCD incandescent bulbs with LEDs which have a much longer lifespan and far less heat output.