Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leak from fuel tank

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Last tank I had rust in had to be sandblasted inside. This was Adelaide and no one could fix the rust any other way. I rung around and came to nothing but dead ends. Fortunately I own a sandblaster and had a mate who was an ace welder. I carved it and blasted it and my mate welded it back together.
I tried a few bottles of pool acid but it did little and it was inside for three days.
If you want to kill the rust you have to use phosphoric acid not pool acid. Probably wouldn't be cheaper than buying a specific tank repair/liner system product.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you want to kill the rust you have to use phosphoric acid not pool acid. Probably wouldn't be cheaper than buying a specific tank repair/liner system product.

I was trying to eat the rust out but yeah it did very little and cost me quite a bit of money, which was wasted. Vinegar would have worked better but 50 odd litres of vinegar was going to expensive as well..... Trouble is, can you use that plastic liner gear over rust?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I was trying to eat the rust out but yeah it did very little and cost me quite a bit of money, which was wasted. Vinegar would have worked better but 50 odd litres of vinegar was going to expensive as well..... Trouble is, can you use that plastic liner gear over rust?
Blokes on the vintage Triumph forums tell me that the Slosh paint system works, but I've never used it.