Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leak from fuel tank

Peter M J B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1
Has anyone had any success fixing a leak in the fuel tank using an epoxy or similar products. I found the fuel tank has a very slow drip which seems to be coming through the metal - no sign or feel of a hole, but can see what looks like a light line, just to the edge of the recessed section where the tank strap fits. It only leaked about 1/2 a cup overnight. I don't want to have to replace the tank as its difficult to find one for the VN wagon. I've seen a lots of products advertised that seem to seal anything, but not sure how it'll go with petrol.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
There sealants for fuel tanks.
We have used it on old cars and motorcycles.
Do a search on Google for it.
It works very well and is American made.
You will need to remove the tank and have it empty of fuel of course.
Pour it in, swill it around, let it set, and suggest you don’t use ethanol fuel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is tank putty. Soap works as a temp fix.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Has anyone had any success fixing a leak in the fuel tank using an epoxy or similar products. I found the fuel tank has a very slow drip which seems to be coming through the metal - no sign or feel of a hole, but can see what looks like a light line, just to the edge of the recessed section where the tank strap fits. It only leaked about 1/2 a cup overnight. I don't want to have to replace the tank as its difficult to find one for the VN wagon. I've seen a lots of products advertised that seem to seal anything, but not sure how it'll go with petrol.
A lot of my UK old Triumph mates swear by this stuff: https://www.rust.co.uk/product/slosh-fuel-tank-sealer-7

Peter M J B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1
There sealants for fuel tanks.
We have used it on old cars and motorcycles.
Do a search on Google for it.
It works very well and is American made.
You will need to remove the tank and have it empty of fuel of course.
Pour it in, swill it around, let it set, and suggest you don’t use ethanol fuel.
Thanks

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
best way is to to remove it and take it to a radiator repair business they repair and pressure test to make sure its leak free

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
best way is to to remove it and take it to a radiator repair business they repair and pressure test to make sure its leak free
Isn't the problem more than fixing the leaks. If I went to the trouble of draining and removing the tank I'd want to treat and seal all the internal rust pitting that hasn't developed yet into a leak . Maybe a radiator repairer could do that if you asked them?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Last tank I had rust in had to be sandblasted inside. This was Adelaide and no one could fix the rust any other way. I rung around and came to nothing but dead ends. Fortunately I own a sandblaster and had a mate who was an ace welder. I carved it and blasted it and my mate welded it back together.
I tried a few bottles of pool acid but it did little and it was inside for three days.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Isn't the problem more than fixing the leaks. If I went to the trouble of draining and removing the tank I'd want to treat and seal all the internal rust pitting that hasn't developed yet into a leak . Maybe a radiator repairer could do that if you asked them?
friends have taken there fuel tanks into be repaired but if they cannot repair it than you have to look for another tank