Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leak on a 1997 Vs Clubsport

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by bobskibruno, Sep 22, 2017.

1. bobskibruno

bobskibruno New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Clubsport 1997 5.0
    Need some ideas on where there could be a leak on a 1997 Vs Clubsport. Took it to the mechanic and had it on the hoist and he still couldnt find it. Any ideas and help will be appreciated! sorry for the shitty recording, best i had on my camera roll. Not sure if this could be a common problem with the vs. Thanks in advance! A mate of mine said it could be the rear main, but even on the hoist we could not see anything.

2. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    I'd start by degreasing everything so you can see where the oil is coming from much easier. Common culprits are rocker cover gaskets.

3. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Could also be power steering or trans breather if over full.
    (Sorry, didnt watch video)

4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Are you going through any PS fluid? They are common to have leaks, although the colour doesn't appear to be redish. If it is the rear main it's engine out and remove crank. Lets hope it's not the latter. Is it the crank seal?? Going by the vid it looks like it's coming fairly steadily with the engine running, which could suggest crank seal.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Active Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Get everything clean then run it for short period so can trace leaks...will probably find a few.

6. bobskibruno

bobskibruno New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Clubsport 1997 5.0
    Will be doing this tomorrow after a trip to super cheap auto! Will keep you updated

Maybe buti doubt it would leak in that position

before its recent service apparently the power steering fluid reservoir was empty and the mechanic topped it up and only since then did we notice the leak being bad, but as you said the colour isnt red at all. If anything its a light brown which i am told is related to oil :(. I really hope its not rear main but ill be degreasing it tomorrow and hopefully will be able to see where the leaks comming from.

7. BlackVXGTS

BlackVXGTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
    It looks to me like the smoke is from oil leaking onto the exhaust pipe. Had a similar problem with my VS Calais 383. If you jack up the car when the engine is cold (say overnight) you should be able to see the oil on top of the exhaust pipe. You can also remove the dust cover between the engine and trans and see if there is any evidence of leakage from the rear main. You didn't say if your car was an auto or a manual. With my Calais (auto) the oil leak seemed to come from the rear main and drip onto the inside of the flexplate and then get thrown around the inside and leak out in strange places.

Having said that, engine oil leaks tend to be more grey/black in colour, trans tends to be light brown rather than red, and coolant is mostly green whn wet or white when dry (on the Holden V8s anyway). A point to note is that the worst leaks tend to happen when the car has had a bit of a flogging rather than being driven around like a nanny.

8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I think your leak is PS fluid. If you had to top it up, the fluid has gone somewhere. It's not like an engine that will burn a small amount between oil changes and expect to go down slightly on the dip stick. I had a PS fluid leak in my resi and it looked like it could have been coming from four different places, yet there was only one leak. A leaking steering system will spit out a fair bit of oil, which yours appears to be doing and it can end up running all over the place, even around the rear of the engine. Like BlackVXGTS just said the oil from the steering does tend to be light brown by the time it makes it way down, mine was which did confuse myself and the mech into thinking I may have also had engine oil leaks, not just the PS resi. Steering pump leaks are really common. Given the age of the pump, I'd say unless the pump has had some new seals fitted previously the pump is at least one place that will be leaking oil.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I think what can throw you a bit, as it did with me is when you see light brown oil and think it is engine oil. I thought mine was engine oil because it was still quite clean on the dipstick.

10. bobskibruno

bobskibruno New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Clubsport 1997 5.0
    Yeah doing that tomorrow for sure, stocking up on degreaser haha

yeah sorry about that its an auto, yeah there is oil ontop of the exhaust so thats why im thinking it could be rear main :(. The color of the oil is defiantly a light brown and with driving it normally it will still leak to the point where you can see smoke from the engine bay and from the rear of car. (not bad just noticeable).

Powersteering was the first thing that we thought it could be as it was just after the mechanic topped it up but after talking to a few people and looking online everybody kept talking about the fluid from powersteering being a red colour. So we ended up ruling that out, but ill defs msg you tomorrow with an update once we clean out all the **** with degreaser and a pressure hose.

Bro all i know for now is that its some type of oil haha, if it could help i can post a pic of the colour of the fluid?

11. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Active Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Thought same thing with one car.

Looked like engine oil but was p/steer leak mixing with dirt/dust...when you smear p/steer leak oil on finger looks almost clear untill contaminated.

After give it good clean grab allen key make sure rocker covers not loose then run it for a bit check rocker covers/manifold & distributor area for leaks....then other areas to find causes.

12. bobskibruno

bobskibruno New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Clubsport 1997 5.0
    Thanks for your help guys, we ended up degreasing everything and pressure washing it down, followed by wiping the extra gunk off. Took her out for a spin and the smoke kept coming. Looked like you guys were right and it was the rear main. We took it to a different mechanic where he had a good look and found that there was 3 leaks. Rear main, High pressure power steering hose and Timing cover seal (might not be exactly what he said but i have a piece of paper of the leaks somewhere).

Unfortunately the mechanic that we did go to the second time said hes never doing a rear main on a 5ltr ever again after his first one. but we went ahead and did the timing cover seal as he said that was the most important one to do as it was pissing oil. Still don't know what we are going to do with the rear main though...

13. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Rear main is not likely to cause smoke as it will just leak on the ground. Put a drip tray in your garage and call it good. It's just a Holden marking it's territory. The High pressure PS leak will most likely be the cause of the smoke as the line runs right next to the exhaust.

14. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    TBH I reckon once you fix the other two leaks you won't have too much of a leaking prob. I've seen lots of leaking RM's and unless it's leaving a puddle on the ground you tend to leave them alone. Can't 100% vouch for the VS 5L, but on cars I know a fair bit about you leave them. I reckon that's why the mech said he won't do it, because if you do they can sometimes end up leaking as bad as before.

15. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Active Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Check pcv is clean & working or add better breather system(catchcan)...can also add bottle of stop leak next oil change.

The above + fixing the 2 other leaks should make it livable to deal with for a few more years.

You really don't want to do rear main unless planning engine rebuild as it's engine out job & remove crank just to replace seal properly then refit it all...some will still leak afterwards

16. BlackVXGTS

BlackVXGTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
    Not necessarily correct. Depends on the exhaust system. My 383 Calais had a leak around the rear main. The leak drips onto the inside of the flexplate (auto) and then gets thrown all around the bell housing. Some of the oil leaks down and out via the dust cover and onto the ground, but a lot leaks onto the driver side exhaust pipe (Genie extractors/dual exhaust pipes/cats). Spent literally $000's trying to get this leak fixed but never succeeded. Unless it's really gushing out, suggest you live with the problem. Having said that, my wife's VS Clubsport had a rear main leak that was repaired under warranty, and it's never leaked again (fingers crossed).