Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leak/overfilled trans

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hey guys,
i think a mechanic has overfilled my transmision with fluid. the fluid level is about 1.5 inches about the full mark. also there is fluid on the bottom of the pan.
is the fluid on the bottom of the pan because its been over filled or would the gasket be leaking? if its a leaky gasket (cork) can i tighten it but a little and stop the leak or is it like a metal head gasket where you just gotta replace it? how can i drain the fluid in the trans? is there an easier way than just removig the pan and adding the fluid again? (the fluid is 1 month old)
cheers, garth.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You check the fluid level after a drive, in neutral or park, and with the engine RUNNING.
If it is overfilled you will probably see a lot of bubbles on the dipstick when you withdraw it...read what it says on the dipstick. You can tighten the pan but be careful as if you overtighten you can easily strip the thread or distort the pan. You can remove fluid by sticking a plastic tube down the dipstick hole and sucking it out or remove one of the oil cooler hoses and run the engine for a few seconds to pump some out. Good luck.