Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Coolant - Corroded T Fitting

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
I have looked through other posts and found similar issues with this fitting but none have quite had the severity of corrosion of the fitting in my VL
This is the T fitting off the heater hose (two hoses run parallel with each other to the fitting).
When I removed the hose trying to find the cause of the coolant leak it was pretty clear that the corroded lip is most likely the cause. There is no splits or pin holes in the attaching hoses.
I don't want to remove the fitting for fear of shearing it off (given its current state). I was thinking of inserting a smaller hose and somehow fixing it to the fitting or building up the corroded edge.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this or perhaps a better solution?
I have attached some pics of the fitting. The small hose that comes of the fitting and runs up to the plenum is still attached and the corroded lip is on the underside of the T fitting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

P1010080.jpgP1010078.jpgP1010079.jpgP1010077.jpg

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Dude I spent 3 weeks trying to get that sucker off when mine corroded not too long ago, I took it to the mechanic and he had to smash it with a crowbar before getting a breaker bar onto it. Cost me $50 and I got the last one in QLD, so your mechanic might need to get his search on lol

Sik_Cordz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5LTR
ive been told you can buy these new from nissan. bout $100 . as once there removed there cant be reused.

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
I was under the impression these were obsolete parts from other posts. I will give Nissan a call and check before I attempt to remove it.
I had another crack at it yesterday with brazing and welding out of the question, I got an equal size piece of copper piece pipe and flared it to fit over the end. I sealed it with omnifit 50 and it seems to have worked for now.
I topped up the radiator only to find there was another leak on the fitting coming out the base of the smaller hose running up to the plenum. I'm hoping when I eventually get the smaller hose off that its the hose clamps fault as its just a squeeze one. There may be similar corrosion on the smaller arm of the T fitting, but I'm hoping this is not the case.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I was under the impression these were obsolete parts from other posts. I will give Nissan a call and check before I attempt to remove it.
I had another crack at it yesterday with brazing and welding out of the question, I got an equal size piece of copper piece pipe and flared it to fit over the end. I sealed it with omnifit 50 and it seems to have worked for now.
I topped up the radiator only to find there was another leak on the fitting coming out the base of the smaller hose running up to the plenum. I'm hoping when I eventually get the smaller hose off that its the hose clamps fault as its just a squeeze one. There may be similar corrosion on the smaller arm of the T fitting, but I'm hoping this is not the case.

Just get it replaced man if you can, mine only had a small pin hole sized leak but for the trouble it's worth, I had mine replaced. Considering it was all smashed up after being removed

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
I found the culprit, pin hole leak on the underside of the fitting. I'll try some of the radiator stop leak stuff but if that doesn't work I'll get it removed. Probably outside what I'm able to do and would rather have a mechanic mess it up than myself. What did it end up costing you to have it removed by a mechanic?
P1010078.jpgP1010079.jpg

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I found the culprit, pin hole leak on the underside of the fitting. I'll try some of the radiator stop leak stuff but if that doesn't work I'll get it removed. Probably outside what I'm able to do and would rather have a mechanic mess it up than myself. What did it end up costing you to have it removed by a mechanic?
View attachment 155557View attachment 155558

in your first pic here, where the smaller tube meets the bigger tube, that'swhere my pin hole was, and the rubber hose couldn't go down enough to clampover the hole. Stop leak worked for about 2 weeks but then failed again.

Mine got done while my mechanic was doing other **** on the car but it was $50 for the fitting, and probably 1 - 1.5 hours or so of labour to get the new part on, bleed the system etc, soyou're probably looking at around $100 - 200 depending on the labour cost of the mechanic & also depends how fast they work.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
U don't have to use the exact fitting as such u can get a barb fitting to suit and then a t-piece to suit and plumb it all up.

This way might actually be cheaper than sourcing an original part also, and Nath knows his **** when it comes to VLs

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
Good idea. Stop leak wouldn't work so I have put a bit of steel putty over temporarily and that works. Called Nissan and they can get the part in from Japan for $40 + GST. I'll look into the barb fitting solution as well