Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Coolant

yafta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
My VY has a slow, small coolant leak at the rear of the motor. It shows as a drip from the bell housing and appears to be coming from somewhere above the starter. Loses about 1/4 cup after a 40min run. Seems to leak when parked after a run, but there is also a strong smell of hot coolant. Checked all the obvious but its got me buggered, any ideas?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Get it pressure tested by a workshop. Easiest and fastest way to find the cause. Could be inlet manifold.

VY Wagon 03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Wagon 2003 LN36 Eco
Gday, have been searching for a while now and found this post.

This is exactly what my vy did today, saw the dripping after a drive (just turned it off) then a hissing and steam under the bonnet.

By the time I opened the bonnet, I couldn’t see or find the leak and the burn off had stopped, I checked under behind the engine and the dripping slowed.

The manifold gasket(s) in question are the ones between the manifold and the heads? Not the plenum part right?

Sorry for noob’age as I just bought the wagon and haven’t had my monthly pay come in yet to buy a manual for it...

(1st thing I did when bought the wags was recheck all levels and bought a genuine rad cap and bled the system, 2 weeks ago and have been checking levels daily as you do when you get a 2nd handa with 212k on the clock)

Can anyone reaffirm this or add any other things I need to check?

No leaks under the dash and the heat coming out is pretty hot when I run it so I don’t think it’s the heater core...

I will get it pressure tested tomorrow anyway...

Last edited: