Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leaking fluid

jake_h03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
I've just recently bought a VT S, and have noticed some fluid leaking from under the car. I don't know much at all about cars and I'm not going to pretend to. This is the first car I've owned, so hoping someone could help me out. The fluid seems to be odourless and pretty much just like water, but there was quite a lot of it. I was thinking possibly power steering fluid?? But I really have no idea.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
Nice choice of car man

and to the point,

if its power steering fluid it will be red in colour

have you noticed roughly where its leaking from?

it sounds stupid, but try tasting it.. like just a tiny bit on your finger it could just be condensation coming from the heater box

jake_h03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
did you have the A/C on before you parked on the spot? lol

Haha good point, no it wasn't turned on, but there was a reason I was thinking it could be something to do with the A/C. I just picked up the car today after the A/C was repaired yesterday. As I said I don't know a lot about cars other than what I like, so I'm no sure if this makes any difference or not. Cheers for the help

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Most fluid in your car are oil-based, and will stick around.

Engine oil will be sticky and black, power steering or transmission fluid is slightly less sticky, but will have an odour. Brake or clutch fluid rarely leaks.

In all likelihood it's from the aircon. When the aircon has been running cold, humid air will condense on the cold parts and drip water out when you park. Nothing to worry about.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
If the fluid is dripping onto the ground round about the left side of the transmission and is evaporating with no marks left the next day it will be condensation from the a/c compressor. Like the others said, dark oil with a mechanical smell is engine, trans is abit lighter reddish colour but will have an almost sweet smell to it. Either way, don't stress because that's what commodores do from time to time lol

jake_h03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
OK, I checked it out a bit more thoroughly yesterday and there's a leaking hose, I think it's a radiator hose.. It's the really thick one anyway. I took it for a drive then came back and popped the hood and heard a spitting noise, and the hose was leaking bright green fluid (which is radiator coolant right?) But it has been leaking a huge amount of fluid on to the ground, could all this be from the leak? And also could I have done any greater damage than a stuffed hose? Thanks

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Ha! I can't believe I didn't think of coolant the first time I replied :bang:

Yes, a green, watery fluid will be from your cooling system. There are two large hoses at the front of the engine (one near the top, and one nearer the ground) which carry coolant between the engine block and the radiator. Like all rubber hoses they deteriorate over time and develop leaks.

When the system is at operating temperature, the entire system becomes pressurised, which will exacerbate any leaks, and can easily result in large amounts of fluid being lost quite quickly.

In terms of damage done, provided the engine hasn't severely overheated from a lack of coolant, you should be fine. The VT will sound an audible warning when the engine temp goes over about 115 degrees (normal operation is about 90 degrees), and even then if you pull over right away and top up the coolant you will be fine. If you keep driving and the engine gets too hot though, you can damage the internals.

Get the hose fixed ASAP, and while you're at it I'd check the condition of the heater tap and other coolant hoses which could be on the way out.

jake_h03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
Ha! I can't believe I didn't think of coolant the first time I replied :bang:

Yes, a green, watery fluid will be from your cooling system. There are two large hoses at the front of the engine (one near the top, and one nearer the ground) which carry coolant between the engine block and the radiator. Like all rubber hoses they deteriorate over time and develop leaks.

When the system is at operating temperature, the entire system becomes pressurised, which will exacerbate any leaks, and can easily result in large amounts of fluid being lost quite quickly.

In terms of damage done, provided the engine hasn't severely overheated from a lack of coolant, you should be fine. The VT will sound an audible warning when the engine temp goes over about 115 degrees (normal operation is about 90 degrees), and even then if you pull over right away and top up the coolant you will be fine. If you keep driving and the engine gets too hot though, you can damage the internals.

Get the hose fixed ASAP, and while you're at it I'd check the condition of the heater tap and other coolant hoses which could be on the way out.

Cheers mate! I haven't had any temperature warnings so hopefully it's all good. Just quickly, any idea how this would cost to fix up and how long it would take to get done? I'm assuming it's pretty simple

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Cheers mate! I haven't had any temperature warnings so hopefully it's all good. Just quickly, any idea how this would cost to fix up and how long it would take to get done? I'm assuming it's pretty simple

Yeah, dead simple.

If it's just one of the radiator hoses, I'd expect about $30 for the hose, $10 for coolant, and about half an hour labour to fit it and bleed the system.