Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Fuel Breather Lines?

luke_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Hi All,

I have noticed a fuel smell coming from behind my driver side rear wheel/rear of car. It is not that strong but noticeable if you concentrate (initially thought I could smell fuel coming into the cabin which lead me to investigate). Reading up on other posts suggests it could be fuel breather lines that are the problem. There is no noticeable fuel leaking though.

Was after some advice:
- Does this seem like a fuel breather line problem?
- If so, is it dangerous? Dropping the tank to fix it seems like a big job. Should I wait until the fuel pump goes and fix it all then? How much would this cost?

Car info:
- VS commodore with just over 250,000 Km.
- Haven't ever changed fuel filter/pump/injectors and have never had a problem with these and have always used standard shell unleaded fuel.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions anybody may have. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Luke

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
would get under there with a torch and see id there is a darker stain on anything
with car running
may also just be the filler cap seal as thats alot of km's

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
remove the metal plate behind the drivers side rear wheel. you dont need to drop the tank and they would all be shagged by now

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
you can remove the panel behind the rear RHS wheel to inspect the hoses, they go intot he filler neck. I am betting if you pull on them they will fall apart. You do need to drop the tank to replace them because they connect into the top of the fuel tank. There is a large one and 1 or 2 small ones, I can;t remember but a VN has 2.
The smaller hoses will be the ones that are stuffed however replacing the big one as wel is a good idea. I got the big one from Holden however the smaller hosees are no longer available genuine so I used 3mm fuel line, nake sure it is fuel line when you buy it not washer bottle hose as it will bloat up.
If you use 3mm fuel hose you will need new clamps as the OD is bigger and where it connects to the metal pipe that goes to the charcoal cannister you can't fit it inside the rubber hose that is used to join the two. I fabricated a double sided barb fitting from brass rod to do the job on my old VN.
Fuel pumps seem to die without much warning so if I was you for the $100 it will cost for a genuine one I would replace it at the same time as well as the fuel filter.
I also bought a new hose that joins the filler neck to the tank and gave the tank a good clean up and got rid of any surface rust on the outside as they do rust especially where the filler neck attaches as dirt and moisture collect there and also the welded seams go rusty over time. It's best to take it out when it's as empty as possible.

luke_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I have had a look and here are some images.

upperfiller.jpg

lowerfiller.jpg

It seems someone has used silicon to patch up one of the hoses. Is this the breather hose? It is soft and deteriorating with a little moisture around it. Could this be the problem?

The other hoses seem ok with no leaks.

Regards,
Luke

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If the hoses are not perished then it's probably where all that white silocone s. Someone may have already replaced the tube using 3mm fuel hose and siliconed it in like that as it does not go inside the 5/16" tube there. If your handy with a lathe make up a double sided barb like I did.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
just go buy a half meter of repco fuel hose the right size and two clamps
and replace away

if there is wetness there then this is likely source of smell
as fuel evaporates its normally only wet around the weeping area (obviously unless very bad leak!)

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
yeah they are the breather hoses, all the one's that are the same size as the patched up one, I'm guessing it's them that are ruined becuase when i pulled my cover off behind the wheel the hoses just fell out in little pieces lol but my car is ten years older :p . You will have to drop the tank down to replace them and i suggest you get a mate over to help you

luke_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Was hoping it would be a quick fix...now that i know what it is, will get a few quotes. Thanks for the super quick handy information.

Skid Bro, db_notso, wortus and Krisp...much appreciated...

Let me know if you need any online endorsement :)