Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking fuel tank

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
vn vp vr vs tanks fit but you have to modify the filler as its too long, ill be putting in a VS tank soon as my VK EFI one has started to leak right on the bottom.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
leak right on the bottom.

so was mine, did this:
100_3296.jpg

no more leaks :p

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Damn I went and got a VS tank. Suppose I am about to find out how well they fit. Has an in tank pump as well so going to need a bit of rewire. My tank is leaking all the time slow drip.

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
is there aftermarket ones for the vh's being a carb motor im not sure if you can run the late model tanks coz they have the fuel pump in em

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
TY318 Yes there is aftermarket ones I have seen a few of the older commodores running around with drop tanks. I dont know of any for sale though. I am running an EFI pump to supply my carbs but my fuel supply is a bit on the extreme side. I must admit the thought of having to change all my wiring and plumbing to suit the new tank isnt going to be fun but should only have to do it once. I hope. I am a bit hesitant to weld a fuel tank, I know it can be done but it kinda seems a bit scary lol. But it would be so good just to get my tank fixed and not have to modify jack.

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
TY318 Yes there is aftermarket ones I have seen a few of the older commodores running around with drop tanks. I dont know of any for sale though. I am running an EFI pump to supply my carbs but my fuel supply is a bit on the extreme side. I must admit the thought of having to change all my wiring and plumbing to suit the new tank isnt going to be fun but should only have to do it once. I hope. I am a bit hesitant to weld a fuel tank, I know it can be done but it kinda seems a bit scary lol. But it would be so good just to get my tank fixed and not have to modify jack.

kool thanks mate and good luck

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
so was mine, did this:
100_3296.jpg

no more leaks :p

Im having problems with it rusting out from the inside, there is thousands of tiny rust pitting holes inside and i have already soldered it up 3 times but its just springs a new leak in a slightly different spot, currently i have put 515 over the hole with a piece of plastic lid over it to make it dry, does the trick for the time being, it is dodgy as hell but what else can i do when its my daily drive.

wish i could weld that good!

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
Im having problems with it rusting out from the inside, there is thousands of tiny rust pitting holes inside and i have already soldered it up 3 times but its just springs a new leak in a slightly different spot, currently i have put 515 over the hole with a piece of plastic lid over it to make it dry, does the trick for the time being, it is dodgy as hell but what else can i do when its my daily drive.

wish i could weld that good!

you could stick a funnel over where its leaking and run a hose from the to the line lol or make it refill the tank